Rusty slk's

Discussion in 'Bodywork' started by Essdee, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Essdee

Essdee New Member

Car:
    n/a
    Apologies if this is a bit long winded, but I really want to buy an slk230 (R170), mainly for summer use only. The problem is the rust issue. Therefore, I am hoping you can give me some advice.The main questions would be, are they all prone to it, no matter what age? Is there a date when you can say that they should be ok? (2002 on?), or is it just pot luck?
    Also, if I find one with no rust, will it rust in the future anyway, or should I just buy a (gulp) bmw?:crazy:
    Thanks, Stu.

2. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    If you look at alternatives you might consider an R129 SL (like mine) ... rust isn't a common problem on them.

3. Smarties

Smarties Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Our 2000 model year SLK230, was starting to rust by it's 3rd year :eek:, arch edges and under the bonnet. This was a pampered 3rd car which was garaged and had by this time covered about 16000 miles! This and the poor dealer serviced is why we ditched it and bought a 20 year old 107 series SL. The early SLK's are getiing to be seriously cheap now though, if you find a good one buy it, they are nice cars.

Tags: