Rusty stone chips on the bonnet..

Discussion in 'Bodywork' started by Mertz33, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Mertz33

Mertz33 New Member

Car:
    CLK280 Coupé
    Following my previous thread about the bonnet heat shield, I had a closer look at the bonnet and noticed some 6-8 stone chips that started rusting.. so the paint around them looks like it has rust underneath.

Now the spors are very small, probably the largest being ~2mm diameter and I am aware this is a 13 year old car so no longer new.. but what's the best I can do to prevent the rust from developing any further??

I have some 20-30ml paint done after my colour code and it's spot on, could I fix this myself?

2. optimusprime

optimusprime Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes W124 260E M103
    Job for the dremel with small grind wheel .Remove the rust put a spot of rust killer in the hole ,then a little cellulose stoper or just fill it up with paint to match your cars paint work use T cut on it till its the same level as the original paint .Polish job done .

MrGreedy likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Mertz33

Mertz33 New Member

Car:
    CLK280 Coupé
    Thanks, given the fact that I've never done this, what are the chances I mess up? :confused:

4. clk320x

clk320x MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W211 E320 CDI, W212 E250 CDI, W203 C32 AMG
    Don’t dremel it... just touch it up, it’ll most likely be fine.

5. AltonAnt

AltonAnt Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2002 S203 C240
    This guy does it really well. Easy to follow steps too.

6. MrGreedy

MrGreedy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Insignia diesel :-( and w212 E350 CDI :-)
    If you want to stop the rust, you will need to get rid of the rust, which means back to bare metal.

I'm with OptimusPrime here and that exact method. I used to be a corrosion engineer for Rolls-Royce (engineering, not cars) for a decade, and painting over is no fix.

I've seen that AmmoNYC vid before and it's pretty good. Without watching it again, I think he also makes a good recommendation of getting a bottle of touch up paint, and diluting with a quantity of lacquer to get a better finish. It's all time though, and a good polished afterwards is a cost if you don't have one.

If you don't fancy doing it yourself, get some quotes for that plus a bonnet respray. Or you could dremel, treat fill and lightly wet and dry yourself to save a bit of labour before a respray.