RV'ing---The great American & Canadian Pastime

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tuercas viejas

MB Enthusiast
Car
landrover/rolls royce/MB AMG S600/Prius
But
Things get toasty sometimes, especially at this time of the year!
Something I suppose for a Sunday view, and a cautionionary for you "varacaners"!
And
Just like car repair shops not all are so well prepared! Some brigades need training!
Some are just volunteers.
Take care
Tuercas viejas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elDjBtsGyM8

All that foam and alooominum.

Where have we heard of that recently?

All that foam and alooominum.

Where have we heard of that recently?

Don't tell me??? --Salma Hayek beating the crap out of a Trump pinata ? :bannana:
:eek:Cheers Dennis
aka T/V

Ironically my wife is trying to convince me that we should buy one of those Vitos with the bed etc in the back; maybe I should make her watch this.

Some 10 years ago we did a driving holiday on the west coast of the US. We were in a rented Mustang and stayed in motels, but saw a lot of RVs along the way. America is a nation on the move.

Somewhere in northern California (which does get a bit hilly in places), we were driving down the interstate and got to a bit where there were signs advising of inclines and telling us to turn off A/C, make sure the engine wasn't labouring, etc.

I wasn't overly bothered about this as we were toodling along and the car had plenty of power in reserve, but we did come across a bit of a situation at one point with an RV on fire on the opposite carriageway. The emergency services were on-site and it all looked to be under control, people were out and safe but the RV itself was going to be toast by the time it was all put out.

Now, we'd seen these land barges tooling about, sometimes towing a car (RAV4s seemed to be popular), but this one had been towing a Hummer.. FFS :wallbash:

Cheers,

Gaz

Mmmmm, less only 6 weeks till we go to tour British Columbia in a big RV...............

Mmmmm, less only 6 weeks till we go to tour British Columbia in a big RV...............

What driving qualification do you hold? Do you have experience of driving this type of vehicle?

Talking to a lady US National Park Ranger about the size of some of the monster RVs I'd seen on the roads (some the size of a 3/4 length Greyhound bus), she said that amongst her colleagues, RV drivers are referred to as "flatlanders", as they've absolutely no idea how to drive in the mountains. From what I witnessed at first hand, many have no idea how to pilot their RVs on flat straight roads either...........

Curious!
Got any specific plans to tour up there in BC.
Lots to see lots of wide open spaces, AND if you see a fuel distance advisory in Canada they really mean it! (from someone who had driven almost coast to coast with four canuck nurse riding from Toronto to Banff) :D

I like Vancouver and the Burrell Sound area just for starters.(changing the subject quickly!):eek:
Cheers
Tuercas Viejas

Curious!
Lots to see lots of wide open spaces, AND if you see a fuel distance advisory in Canada they really mean it! (from someone who had driven almost coast to coast with four canuck nurse riding from Toronto to Banff) :D

I like Vancouver and the Burrell Sound area just for starters.(changing the subject quickly!):eek:
Cheers
Tuercas Viejas

Tuercas,

I have to say that I enjoy your posts immensely, I have no idea what you are on about sometimes but it always sounds interesting.

What driving qualification do you hold? Do you have experience of driving this type of vehicle?

Driving qualification? Just a driving licence. Have I driven a rv before? Nope, I do drive over 50000 miles a year though in a combination of saloon and sports cars plus some 7.5 tonne flatbeds and twice a month I'm on duty for car accident pickups with a bobtail flatbed. Not sure why it's relevant to you though??

Curious!

Cheers
Tuercas Viejas

The only thing specific is to go to Telegraph cove on Vancouver island for a few days ro venture out and watch the grizzly bears catch wild salmon. I have a proposed route then which goes to lake Louise via Kamloops and back to Vancouver skimming the American border but nothing set in stone, it's an adventure! :bannana:

ToeKnee
Its going to be bloody marvelous and you will do just fine in that rental RV--Don't say "hire car" for christ sake!
Got kids with you?
Then prepare them to be amazed!:thumb:

Here's something to whet your appetite!
Experience Stubbs Island Whale Watching Adventure! | British Columbia Whale Watching Tours Adventures, Stubbs Island Whale Watching, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

Yes! Prepare to be amazed!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmkyPLz2tCI

My missus of 25 years, a feisty Irish American comes from Bonners Ferry/Sandpoint area just over the border in the US. Again the area shares the same BC/Alberta Kootenay landscape/topography . You will see sights very similar on your road trip--above all enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bforkusd9zs

Dennis
aka Tuercas Viejas
ps A caution !!
Don't fall in love too much with North America--You will want to stay!:D
D

Last edited:
Tuercas,

I have to say that I enjoy your posts immensely, I have no idea what you are on about sometimes but it always sounds interesting.

Well thanks.
I try to make post enjoyables and maybe thought provoking.
Having no idea?? What about? The word Canuck--its a Canadian term for ---well a Canadian!! Come from the colonial fur trapper days .

Canuck nurses --known to be a wild bunch! In fact generally North American woman are a bit more forward and less aloof & stand offish than their English cousins!
Refreshingly different is my oft reply when an English woman asks me what are American or Canadian women like !:devil:
Hope you have a better idea now?:D
Cheers T/V

Thanks for the links Dennis, we thought about staying another day at Telegraph cove and doing the whale watching but decided to do the trip from Vancouver while we have a few days in a hotel there although as no RV parks are booked except for the Grizzly trip we may change our mind once at telegraph cove.

Cheers, Tony

Depending on when you got your licence you may not need specific qualifications to drive an RV.

Driving qualification? Just a driving licence. Have I driven a rv before? Nope, I do drive over 50000 miles a year though in a combination of saloon and sports cars plus some 7.5 tonne flatbeds and twice a month I'm on duty for car accident pickups with a bobtail flatbed. Not sure why it's relevant to you though??

Only out of interest..not trying to tell you your business for a moment.

I used to work for a company that provided facilities vehicles for film locations.
Amongst a large fleet of vehicles which ranged from transits to 40' arctics we had two LHD 28' Rvs. They were almost always driven by agency drivers.

I can't remember an occasion when the RV's went out on hire and didn't come back with damage..

As you have recent 7.5t experience I'm sure you'll be just fine.

Have a great time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom