Ryanair seat allocation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
AFAICT very few people actually buy seat selection on some flights. What happens is that the flight looks empty and those who can select think they have a afirly empty flight. Then the online check in opens and wham - it's pretty much full. I guess there's a mix of automation and people actually checking in. On flights out of Dubai it's further complicaetd because people who are connecting from far away get to check in earlier.

It's a horrible system. If you don't pay you may find even if you hit the check in when you are allowed there's no choice. And for the first time in our family we're experiencing people being separated.

If you do pay then you think you've got a decent seat in a quiet area of the plan and no it's much mor likely that it will just fill up around you.

I used to like Emirates. Now they're just hassle.

Seat allocation at the airports was ok and we were sat together.
Found Emirates cattle class to be far superior to any other cattle class we had experienced before.
Better seats & leg room. Better in flight entertainment. Better food and on demand drinks. Better cabin crew. Couldn’t fault it (apart from the other passengers not meeting our standards!!!!!)

I read today that Lufthansa is going to charge for seat selection from 30 to 50 euro. I wonder if it's going to be like American carriers where plane can be empty but everyone sits at the back, because you have to pay extra to sit at the front of economy.

I read today that Lufthansa is going to charge for seat selection from 30 to 50 euro. I wonder if it's going to be like American carriers where plane can be empty but everyone sits at the back, because you have to pay extra to sit at the front of economy.

No, that would affect the centre of gravity (trim of the a/c during take off) so if no one pre booked, you will just be allocated seats throughout the cabin, and if no one was seated by the overwing exits, the cabin crew will move someone to that row. Once everyone is onboard, you can ask the crew if it’s ok to swap seats. But be aware, that sometimes they will ask you to stay in allocated seats for take off, as the trim settings have been calculated on the planned weight distribution.

This

Treat it as a glorified bus service, which is basically what it is, and you're OK.

I only ever buy the basic service - I did 20 RF flights last year so I know their system pretty well on the route I use. 90% of the time I get the a much better seat at no charge. There are ways and means if know what you are doing .....

I find them a very good airline to fly with I usually pay less than £40 return to France, the staff are courteous and their planes are basic comfort-wise but new.

On a short haul, sub 2 hour flight I can slum it for £40 - I could BA the same route but its £200 odd. That £160 a time saving goes straight into my toy budget...

Also... to be fair to Ryanair, on some routes they fly to designations and/or to a schedule that other airlines don't.

It is fine singing BA's praise compared to Ryanair, but when Ryanair have daily flights to two airports in the south of Italy while BA fly there only twice a week, you have a choice between flying with BA on an inconvenient date of flying with Ryanair at the time of your choosing.

No, that would affect the centre of gravity (trim of the a/c during take off) so if no one pre booked, you will just be allocated seats throughout the cabin, and if no one was seated by the overwing exits, the cabin crew will move someone to that row. Once everyone is onboard, you can ask the crew if it’s ok to swap seats. But be aware, that sometimes they will ask you to stay in allocated seats for take off, as the trim settings have been calculated on the planned weight distribution.
Still most people at the back, even after spreading people a bit, I think it was Miami to NYC flight on AA. When on BA in similar situation most people were at the front and just a few at the back (counted 11 people in economy on that particular ocassion, Frankfurt to Heathrow). I was stopped from moving couple of times from my seat, due to aircraft balanacing, last time on Gulf Air A320. Also cargo plays a role in balancing aircraft.

We go to Spain twice a year to holiday home, Alicante airport. Unfortunately the boys and girls nights out in Benidorm use these flight too.

Just be thankful your holiday home is not on Ibiza.

Is MURCIA an option for you? I used to prefer to fly there when I had a place in Orihuela Costa. It was always a friendlier airport than Alicante in those days.

Is MURCIA an option for You?

30 minutes to house, car parked at airport on a good deal.

But will look into using murcia, thanks

Ryanair are shocking. They claim to fly to many cities but in fact dump you many miles from those cities. A bit like Stanstead/Gatwick/Luton being called London!

The only good thing about Ryanair is the price. If that is paramount in ones needs of the service then thats fine but dont expect any level of service at all.

BA are definately going down the budget airline route in economy (world traveller). Ever since Alex Cruz took over, the service in that cabin has plummeted. I personally am happy to pay for a better cabin and here is where BA excell. Club and first are excellent. For me, my holiday begins with the arrival at the airport and I like to enjoy all aspects of the break including the travel.

Looks lovely place Darrell, too far for the lash heads to travel for the weekend. To hot for this fair skinned scot though, not used to high temps!
In the winter it’s a hellish place to get to. And even worse to get away from. But it’s a stunning island though.

Ryanair are shocking. They claim to fly to many cities but in fact dump you many miles from those cities. A bit like Stanstead/Gatwick/Luton being called London.
Only shocking if you don’t know.

If you fly into Luton you can jump onto Thameslink and be at London St Pancras 30 mins later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom