S!24230TE Rocker Cover Gasket and Hydraulic Lash Adjusters .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shj124

Car
S124
My wife’s 1990 S124 230TE has developed what seems to be a noisy tappet on cylinder one. I realise that it could turn out to be a worn timing chain tensioner, so far I’ve only investigated via the old method of a screwdriver on the cylinder head with the other end against my skull.

Before I take off the rocker cover to investigate further I have searched on the web for a new gasket, prior experience has taught me if you don’t have a new one and try to reuse the old one it will leak.

I also thought I would get at least one hydraulic lash adjuster as the same time which has led me to three questions:

Question 1.

Which are the best brands of gasket? I have seen quite a few references to REINZ gaskets leaking, I believe the OEM suppliers to M. Benz were ELRING or GOETZE?

Question 2.

Some supplier sites such as AUTODOC list gaskets as “for vehicles with levelling control” I assume this is a translation from the original German and indicates engines with Hydraulic Lash Adjusters, i.e. post 1985?

With regard to Hydraulic Lash Adjusters there seem to be quite a few brands available although I suspect the actual number of manufactures is much smaller with the brands putting the same part in their own packaging.

Question 3.

Any recommended brands or sources?

Neither Europarts nor GFS have any listed at present.

1. Use an Elring gasket

2. In some case's the M102 is fitted with a hydraulic pump driven form the front of the camshaft, which is for the self leveling suspension. The gaskets are different.

3. Get it from Mercedes, they are not that expensive. A Febi part is the next best thing.

1. Use an Elring gasket

2. In some case's the M102 is fitted with a hydraulic pump driven form the front of the camshaft, which is for the self leveling suspension. The gaskets are different.

3. Get it from Mercedes, they are not that expensive. A Febi part is the next best thing.
Thanks for the reply. I had thought of going with an Elring gasket .

Olly at PCS did the tappets on our 124 with the M104 280 engine. His advice was to use genuine MB tappets etc. He had previously learned the hard way that even reputable brands are not a good substitute!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom