s 320 CDI handbrake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrisbrad66

Car
S320 CDI, W203 320 CDI
Hello all, does anyone know how to adjust a handbrake cable on a 2001 S class 320 CDI W220, the pedal goes nearly to the floor before it engages the parking brake and even then the car still rolls easily, i've looked underneath and cannot find anywhere to adjust it, also when i release the brake the 2 wheel cables jump off there hooks at the compensator mechanism underneath because there is so much slack in the main cable, i've looked under the dash at the pedal and traced as much of the visible cable as possible but cannot find a adjuster anywhere
Thanks
Chris.

is the adjuster quadrant not under the rear seat squab? there is a little plate that can be removed -
The shoes are adjusted through a hole in the disk , though this won't take up slack in the cables - worth removing the disk first and giving the rusty ring a scrape , makes removal easier later.

is the adjuster quadrant not under the rear seat squab? there is a little plate that can be removed -
The shoes are adjusted through a hole in the disk , though this won't take up slack in the cables - worth removing the disk first and giving the rusty ring a scrape , makes removal easier later.

Yes the parking shoes can be adjusted through the hole in the drum, but these are self adjusting and the hole is there so that you can back them off when fitting or removing the disc/drum. if the shoes are worn out then fitting new ones will take up the slack

Thanks guys, i think it is the shoes, just been in touch with a dealer who surprisingly gave me advice over the phone!!! he said on this model of car there is no cable adjuster as such, only the biase compensator near the rear axle and thats it, so looks like a job to do at work when i'm quiet
thanks again all

I'd lift the rear seat for the sake of five minutes - there is no reason why the shoes should wear unless they have been left dragging for ages -

Mine was adjustment , otherwise the brake light switch wouldn't go off.

lifted the rear seat, no removable cover or any sign of one or adjuster, looks like spanner time!! thanks for the input .

good luck , my footbrake release has just fallen to bits - 20p's worth of plastic rubbish

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom