S Class 320 CDIs coming down in price.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Very nice indeed, a lot of car for that money. Incidently I know a cat C is accident repaired but how are the actual catagories defined. Anyone

A - Not for resale. Fire damaged (burnt-out), flood damaged (contaminated or salt water), severely damaged with no serviceable parts, or heavily stripped (shell).
Notification of Destruction required. (To be crushed). Recorded at DVLA & HPI.

B - Not for resale. Damaged beyond economical repair and/or severe structural damage.
Notification of Destruction required. (Parts can be removed and sold). Recorded at DVLA & HPI.

C - Repairable salvage. Generally applies to older vehicles. Can be sold for repair but must now have VIC inspection.
Recorded at DVLA & HPI.

D - Repairable salvage. Minimal damage sometimes stolen and found after claim has been paid, or cost of repair combined with difficulty obtaining new parts to enable a swift repair.
Recorded with HPI.

X - Repairable salvage. Not recorded on any registers such as HPI. Limited or very light damage, or vehicle is new or less than 12 months old. Usually requires minimal repair work.
NOT Recorded with HPI.

From Piston Heads/Google.

Last edited:
So my brand new Austin Montego that got filled with water/sewage in the underground car park at Euston station many years ago, when a foul water main burst, would have been Cat A. Good to know.

So my brand new Austin Montego that got filled with water/sewage in the underground car park at Euston station many years ago, when a foul water main burst, would have been Cat A. Good to know.

LOL In fairness a Montego could be A, B, C or D and that's straight out of the showroom

Spotted on eBay! > S Class 320 CDIs coming down in price.

LOL In fairness a Montego could be A, B, C or D and that's straight out of the showroom

I agree but it was a company car and at the time I was quite pleased with it compared to my ford cortina.:eek:

I recently took a one owner 2006 S500 w221 with 65k on the clock in part exchange and the best underwrite I could get was £12,000. I thought about buying it myself at that price.

Don't be taken in with the Category's of an insurance claim.

It's mostly based on the COST of the repair, not the extent of the damage. So it's quite possible that a Cat-D Could be mangled and a Cat-C lightly bumped.

yes true- it also has to do with the availibility of parts- I see many mg rovers written off cat c due to bumpers and no other damage! The only issue you will ever have is a possible payout from insurance again as they will never pay out book value on a car already written off.

Buying one at tthe prioces shown sounds good but what about maintenance and repair costs if things go pear shaped - looks like a lot of money required or am I missing summat?

Oi :eek: I had one of those A 2.0 Vandan Plas I thought it was a lovely car :cool: Drove like it was on (rails contaminated with wet leaves) but for cruising it was really well equiped with leather and a steering wheel and a hi fi system. and did you see how they could be parked? remember the advert in the car park? :rock:

My first car was an Austin Montego 1.6L and I loved it... best car I'd ever owned ( until I bought my second car ). It was very comfortable and took me around 15k miles before I all but wrote it off in a flight into a field. Some heavy surgery and it was back on the road and survived with the new owner for the next few years.

We should start a new "forum" for Montego lovers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom