S Class - ABS/ESP Unavailable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex225

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS63 AMG
So my newly acquired S Class has decided to throw up an error which I hope isn't anything too serious.

The error shown below came up yesterday and the steering suddenly got heavier, was as I started the car. I drove round for five mins, having worked in IT so long I know the score, off and on again sorted it! But it came back on this morning, I haven't been out in the car today but the message stayed put whilst manoeuvring the car.

IWPS2Qa.jpg

Got the iCarsoft out and these are the two errors I'm getting.

O4q6SfC.jpg

EnIbC5P.jpg

To be honest the garage I bought from are really helpful and I've no doubt they'll sort it but if it's anything quick I could sort myself feel free to make suggestions. :)

Nah just drop the Valve body as the conductor plate sits on top

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My experiences with a lot of electronic problems are that many of them are mechanical:
Connectors that have come loose and/or water ingress and/or badly crimped connector
elements. Many times, a careful inspection of sensor connections before the workshop
reads an error code and simply replaces the sensor or what-ever it is may save lots of £££

A friend of mine described a case where the worksop had replaced a faulty engine radiator
fan controller that went full speed as soon as the owner started his car. The reason was not the fan controller
but the connector to it. When the fan controller did not receive any CAN-bus data from the
engine controller, it defaulted to full speed just to ensure adequate cooling.

Alex - take it back to the supplying dealer. It’s their job to sort it out. I believe you can also reject the car for a full refund?

Alex - take it back to the supplying dealer. It’s their job to sort it out. I believe you can also reject the car for a full refund?

I probably could as less than 14 days from purchase.

I don’t have an issue with it being fixed. It may be something minor like a sensor. Will see what they come back with. Ultimately though it is their issue to sort.

Stay cool on this one. I think I may have had a similar issue on my S500 W220 15 years ago. Memory's vague - too many beers since then.

These systems are so clever they warn you of issues you wouldn't have known about before. A bit of patient investigation will get it resolved.

Great that you'd been able to pick it up and start diagnosis so quickly.

Stay cool on this one. I think I may have had a similar issue on my S500 W220 15 years ago. Memory's vague - too many beers since then.

These systems are so clever they warn you of issues you wouldn't have known about before. A bit of patient investigation will get it resolved.

Great that you'd been able to pick it up and start diagnosis so quickly.

I had the same errors and heavy steering on my E500. Turned out to be a faulty brake switch. £7 and 10 mins later it was all sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that’s the kind of thing I’m hoping for and why I’m not overly perturbed but it.

Having experienced things pop up on my W211 on occasion I know these cars are full of sensors so can be electrical not mechanical.

I’ve popped an email over to the garage who’ll hopefully come back to me today and we can sort.

Have you checked if cruise control is working? If it isn't, it may just be you brake pedal switch has gone faulty.

Thanks Geoff, no I've not had the chance to test it but will do tonight.

I e-mailed the garage with the error on the screen and two stored codes. They're looking into it and will let me know the next step. Whether I take it directly to them or somewhere specific. Their service has been excellent so far and online all their feedback has been good so hopefully they'll look after me and the car. :)

Sorry to read about the fault that has come up,I know this will sound crazy but you have put new rubber mats in the car could it have contacted the sensor on the foor brake,I know completely unlikely but as it will take a few seconds to check worth a try,other than that take it back and let the garage sort it,you paid the asking price.

Reactions: Ted
I think those codes almost certainly point to the sensors on the conductor plate (7g?).

It's usual for cruise etc. not to work when these codes come up.

Never done it on the 7G but as far as I know the sensors themselves can be changed but that shouldn't worry you, just get it in to be repaired and let the seller sort it out.

One thing to keep an eye on is the codes thrown by iCarsoft, last time I checked a 722.6 it was telling me codes from a 7G box, putting it on Star read correct sensor errors.

I had the same errors and heavy steering on my E500. Turned out to be a faulty brake switch. £7 and 10 mins later it was all sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had similar errors and no power steering on a W204 C63.
Turned out it was the ABS control unit

Thanks Geoff, no I've not had the chance to test it but will do tonight.

I e-mailed the garage with the error on the screen and two stored codes. They're looking into it and will let me know the next step. Whether I take it directly to them or somewhere specific. Their service has been excellent so far and online all their feedback has been good so hopefully they'll look after me and the car. :)

Sounds promising buddy, Just a shame they didn't give the car a good go over before hand, it would save all the stress later on.

Thats of course if its not a new fault:rolleyes:

Are You sure they will think its the same car after you have detailed it? :D

Yeah, they seem like an agreeable bunch and let's face it they can't really argue at this point haha. A few months down the line it may be a different story although I have been considering warranty options for the next 12 months. I'll do 12k over that time so will give me the chance to get a feel for if the car is going to be too costly.

Let's hope it's just a blip!

Doesn't mean to say I'm not looking at warranty options to cover me after the first three months! haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom