S-Class + Bus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C43AMG

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
500L ( W221 ), 2014 AMG CL 5.5 Biturbo ( W216 ) Sold, 2014 Brabus Smart ( 451 Coupe ) Mapped 130bhp
There i was in Chelsea (London, for those people who live north of Marble Arc :) ) parked waiting for a client when this very nice W126 560 SEL pulled up along side me, he had stopped to park in a bay on the other side of the road.

I was watching him reversing from my mirror when i noticed this bus coming towards us, as the car was parking the front of his car started to come further out into the middle of the road, as it does. I then had another look in my mirror and thought the bus will stop to let the car get into his space, you guessed it he did'nt and to avoid hitting the 126 his N/S rear wheel arc some how caught the corner of my bumper and took the whole bumper and deposited it 20 yds down the road.

The driver very was sorry apologised, then started shouting at the driver of the 126 telling him he should have stopped etc etc. I have gone to pick up my bumper up from the middle of the road when my client came out from her meeting, she looks at me holding the bumper, then looks at the car and bursts out laughing. She said i told you they don't make Merc's like they used to ( I have known this client for a number of years ) she thought it had fallen off.

It's amazing how big a AMG front bumper is after it becomes detached from the car.

Anyway i can't tell what a pain it was getting everything sorted out. Getting another car and driver for the client, getting a replacement car for me and all the paper work.So there i was the bus had gone my client had been picked up and i had a car with the bumper on the pavement. It would not fit into the boot, i was lucky i had a couple of car rugs which i put over the front and back seats, the bumper fitted nicely balancing on top of the front headrest.

I then get this very heavy phone call from the Bus Co saying they would much rather deal with this in house and not get insurance Company's involved, we can get it all sorted out, get you a car get the work done you won't loose your no claims bonus and that's before i could get a word in to tell them that my insurance company was already involved and everything was being taken care of by them. He then starts to tell me of my "Mitigating Expenses" ?? which means the cost of my replacement car which is like for like. A W221 S-Class which is part of my insurance, the cost of a S-Class is £500 a day, that is what my insurance Co charges and he said he could get it for £250 a day and that i would get the bill for the difference. I told him to speak to my insurance and not to contact me again, they have come to amicable arrangement re the hiring cost. I have not heard anymore apart from them admitting liability and there engineer agreeing to the repairs.

The car should be back with me at the end of next week, just hope the new bumper doesn't take to long to come from Germany.

Last edited:
Glad to read that it's all being taken care of with little fuss, now the bus company have backed down a bit :)

I feel for you Peter as lately you`ve had a very bad luck.I hope you`ll get it sorted

I bet it is a pain getting an other car sorted for you to work with, how do you get the the loan car plated?

Ditto . What a shame . At least the bus driver didn't just drive on as I have experienced in the past when one clipped my car in Edinburgh and I had to pursue him for a couple of blocks before I was able to get in front and make him stop - he still denied having hit me despite the exchanges of paint which proved it ! Of course , his tactic meant I had no witnesses , and I guess that's why they do it .

It may be small consolation , but at least hitting your new car rather than the W126 probably means less hassle as yours will be fixed back to as new without any quibbling , whereas even a very nice W126 would be a candidate for the insurance trying to write it off over such an incident and a sad loss of something that is less easily replaced .

I hope the 126 driver was at least sympathetic towards your situation ?

I wonder how the bus company would have acted if you had hit the bus? I'll bet they wouldn't have offered to 'sort it out in house' ;)

Sorry to hear about your accident Peter.
Hopefully next year will bring better luck for you.

You might even find the CL55!

I bet it is a pain getting an other car sorted for you to work with, how do you get the the loan car plated?

There is a company called Licensed Carriage Hire who hire only PCO registered
cars.

When i asked the 126 driver if he had not seen the bus and why he did not stop he said the bus should have stopped to let him park, what can you say.

Yes I'm sure there is a CL55 out there somewhere with Anna's name on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom