S-Class Buying Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And all the pics are sideways??!?!!?

Great car I see you got one with plenty on it,you cannot go wrong for £8 grand,the mileage is nothing for one of these,I suppose it came with plenty of service history,a couple of tips you are well into having the ATF in the box changed for a second time so unless it has been done recently I would get that done,and when you park use the electronic parking brake instead of hitting the park on the column,reason is if you don't use the electronic parking brake you will lose it,the thing will stop working,good news you are near Wayne Gates,so well done.

Great car I see you got one with plenty on it,you cannot go wrong for £8 grand,the mileage is nothing for one of these,I suppose it came with plenty of service history,a couple of tips you are well into having the ATF in the box changed for a second time so unless it has been done recently I would get that done,and when you park use the electronic parking brake instead of hitting the park on the column,reason is if you don't use the electronic parking brake you will lose it,the thing will stop working,good news you are near Wayne Gates,so well done.
Thanks zipdip - love it so far & will get the ATF changed & would never have used the parking brake so thx.

Well thats a W221 that has loads of stuff on it,many for sale a the moment are poverty spec,so well done to find that one,memory front seats give you something that cars without do not have and thats when you select reverse the nearside mirror will dip down to allow you to see that expensive rear alloy when parking I always feel thats a nice touch,also once the car is up to speed you might notice that the front dips down a little to give better aero dynamics,as I have said that shape for me is timeless,the drains at either end of the windscreen sometimes block with dead leaves just need a look at now and then.

EB7AC9C9-BE0D-4EFE-8394-F34DC531B812.jpeg38FA05A7-29CA-4A27-8CE4-21DAAA96E38F.jpeg
And then we go to Ibiza and our airport transport is only an S Class W222 with Burmester stereo - check out this rear door tech!!! ❤️

I thought at first you had changed your car...

Straight away the silver buttons on the steering wheel you are in a 222.

Not so keen on the interior wood trim colour but he's chosen the right illumination colour for the ambient lighting!

The Burmester is nothing to write home about in my opinion but I got mine upgraded and it sounds a lot better now...

Mine is an S500L with the individual rear seats - pity I can't use them!

Sad news. Took it in for MOT and check up at Wayne Gates in North London, and Terry told me the timing chain and other bits need replacing and not good idea to drive it far as was - - £4.5k plus another £1-1.5k of other things needing doing. So I’ve had to sell it for £5.7k (paid £8k three mths ago). So I guess the 166K miles caught up with it.

Sad news. Took it in for MOT and check up at Wayne Gates in North London, and Terry told me the timing chain and other bits need replacing and not good idea to drive it far as was - - £4.5k plus another £1-1.5k of other things needing doing. So I’ve had to sell it for £5.7k (paid £8k three mths ago). So I guess the 166K miles caught up with it.
That's bad luck.

Was this a petrol engined car?

If so I was wondering if the engine was within the range where these issues with camshaft sprocket and chain wear was a potential problem?

Dsm10000 yes it was these plus tensioners I think. Engine out.

Dsm10000 yes it was these plus tensioners I think. Engine out.
Unfortunate.

Did you know about this issue with the M272 engine before you bought this one?

I knew about timing chain potential problems and checked it with the Merc Indy garage who serviced it in March. Should have got an Indy inspection!!!

That’s rough buddy , good luck with the next one , they do look like stunning cars

I knew about timing chain potential problems and checked it with the Merc Indy garage who serviced it in March. Should have got an Indy inspection!!!
Just to clarify.

Was the engine within the known range of affected units?

Who bought it for £5700 with all that work required? 🤔

I'm surprised a 2012 is in that range. I would have said buy the V8 but the M278 was affected too although when I was looking at buying a 2010 S500L, I checked out the engine number which was supposedly beyond the range affected.

I would imagine WBAC bought the car and maybe the work required was not mentioned.

Now you can save for a W222 S500L! :thumb:

I would imagine WBAC bought the car and maybe the work required was not mentioned.
I hope not!

I hope not!

Assuming WBAC did buy it...

WBAC aren't interested in that sort of thing though.

As long as it passes the "condition" and "quick test" on site then job done.

Some other sucker will end up with it once it has been auctioned.

It's down to the morals of the individual selling it to WBAC in the first place.

I've know a few people who have a problem with a car like this and it ends up at WBAC.

At some point someone will pick up the bill for repairs when it pops or it will be scrapped I guess given the price of the work vs. the value.

I imagine it is rife!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom