s124 tailgate soft close

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

llewe

Car
W124 E220 Estate, Sunbeam Stiletto, Citroen 2CV
Hi, I have a problem with the soft close failing on the tailgate following a few months of intermitent performance. I also think a problem with the rear cabin lights might be related to this. I have replaced the mechanism with a known good one and still have no operation of the mechanism. I had a flicker of life from the motor for a few moments whilst fiddling about and suspect I have a power lead broken. can anyone tell me which side the wire passes into the roof as this seems to be the likely place for a break? Or any other suggestions?? Thanks Rich

Almost certainly where the wire passes through the hinge. Left side iirc.

Soft close wasn't working on my '90 S124. I traced the problem to a broken wire. Ran a new one from the terminal block on the left hand rear side of the roof.
If you remove the rearmost headlining cover, you'll see the screw terminal block and the wires running into the corrugated rubber tube that runs alongside the hinge.
It is possible (if tricky) to run a new wire through here- pull both ends of the rubber tube from their housing and you may need to push something (unsharp so it doesn't puncture the rubber) as a needle to get through, then tape the wire onto that to pull it through. Soapy water is your friend with this, and for getting ,the rubber tube back into place.
This old post I made about replacing the rear washer pipe may have some useful info/links:
https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/1043814-post10.html
Sadly the images have now gone. Will try to find and replace them one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom