S124 - Wiper Relay faulty. Advice please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Timster

Car
Currently Merc' Less.
Hi There.

Having finally got my 124 estate back on the road I've discovered a fault with the wiper switch.

I think it's the relay - the wiper is wiping at random intervals sometimes on full, sometimes on intermittant even when the switch is set to off. Which relay should I look at? Replace? Spray with WD40 etc - am I thinking on the right lines? And advice or pointers recommended.

Ta .

Tim.

Hi Tim,

i had this problem on my previous Saloon E200. The same thing happened during summer 2 years back and was really anoying. As you can imagine constantly wiping a dry windscreen would cause excess stress on the wiper motor and the blade. I could see the motor working overtime so i had to lube it with screen wash everytime to keep the wipe smooth!

eventualy i got fed up and took the fuse out.

i got this fixed by replacing the stalk and it stopped. It seemed as though the soldering or wires lost proper contact with the switch. Of course i could have mended this, but the stalk had been worn and the graphics faded.

I had the same problem and it was dirt in the connections on the end of the indicator stalk. Remove the push in button carefully from the end of the stalk with the aid of a small screwdriver - watch out when the end comes off as there is a small spring in there. Spray with electrical contact cleaner and wipe out - then replace. If not then it could be the relay - either re-solder or buy a new one (but it is about £70 or so - I had to replace mine to fix intermittent indicators).

Mine went the same way shorty after buying the car (used though) needed a new stalk to solve the problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom