S124 with Aero 1's rubbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swannymere

Car
1994 S124 E300d
Help, I've got some AMG Aero 1's (17x8J ET28) fitted with 225/45/17 tyres on my S124 and it's rubbing the wheelarch on the nearside wheel if i hit dips or humps in the road. The edge of the tyre is just level with the outside edge of the wheelarch what can i do to prevent this? Do i need to fit stiffer springs? Can i fit the AMG spacer kit for the w201 that puts the wing further away from the body? Do i have the hub of the wheels machined? I know that normally 225's are the narrowest tyre you can fit to an 8J rim but i've read on a froum that Kumho list their 205 width tyre as suitable for an 8J rim? Any help appreicated.

Attachments

• S124 with Aero 1's.jpg
    S124 with Aero 1's.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 153
What are the ET of the wheels?

Should be written on the back.

These should be ET28 to fit the W124.

I have a feeling you have a set of ET11 there which were designed for the W126 and will stick out 17mm too much.

Fit the spacers on the front

He needs material removing not spacers added.

Which is what makes me think they are the wrong wheels.

Do you know what spacers I'm talking about??Not the ones to bring the wheels out but the plastic washers to bring the wings slightly out

Do you know what spacers I'm talking about??Not the ones to bring the wheels out but the plastic washers to bring the wings slightly out

I understand what you're suggesting, but it would be far better to put the correct wheels on. How are you going to pack out the rear arches?

Get the lips on the inside arches rolled in and then have the fender arch itself rolled out, you'll be suprised how much space you can get from doing just that.

I understand what you're suggesting, but it would be far better to put the correct wheels on. How are you going to pack out the rear arches?

He's got the right wheels with the right offset,see first post where he states they're ET28.The rears are fine but the front ones rubb

He's got the right wheels with the right offset,see first post where he states they're ET28.The rears are fine but the front ones rubb

Hmm, I don't remember reading that first time round, that was added.

Anyhow. The factory would roll the arches if the AMG's were ordered new.

So a combination of not having rolled arches and having the awful chrome sticky on things means the wheels will rub.

Solution - remove the chrome things, roll the arches.

However I'm guessing the arches are covering rust, so it's looking like a replacement/repair to the arches before rolling. All of which is getting more and more work.

Anyhow. The factory would roll the arches if the AMG's were ordered new..

As you already know the aeroI's were fitted on the early days late 80s early 90s and I might be wrong but was there rolling arches than??
If those alloys were fitted from new,the washers I'm on about would have been fitted at the same time

So how much do these plastic spacers bring out the wings? Are they fitted at every bolting point or just the top bonnet line? Had never heard of these until today so very intrigued.

I think is about 5mm and you get two on a pack Inc longer bolts
You need two on each side,one goes at the bottom of the wing where the cladding is and the other on the top where the front bumper is

Thanks for the replies, original post had the offset in and wasn't altered ;) The pikey chrome arches will be gone soon, and the previous owner was meticulous with the waxoyl so only a tiny bit of bubbling on the drivers arch so far but we'll see what it's like when i remove them!
Like Dash has said i think i'll go down the AMG spacer kit before looking into rolling the arches, just wondered if anyone knew if they would work on the S124?

AMG Wheel Spacer Kit thread on mercedes-190.co.uk

I remember telling you a while back about and I know 5mm might not sound much but it'll make a difference.They'll fit any 124 but make sure you order two sets as I had to make the ones in my car after having ordered just one

Thanks Dash, Helpful as ever, i'm getting old so probably forgotten you telling me before:rolleyes:

I told you, i'm nearly 40, i forget things like PM's, where i parked the car and which country we've declared war on this week.

As you already know the aeroI's were fitted on the early days late 80s early 90s and I might be wrong but was there rolling arches than??
If those alloys were fitted from new,the washers I'm on about would have been fitted at the same time

Late 80's it would have been done after market as AMG weren't in actual agreement with Mercedes until 1990.

Post 1990 (probably 1991 onwards) when AMG bits were available on a new order the car would have been modified accordingly. It may be that the wheels had to be ordered with sportline suspension - I can't remember now.

However, it's probably a combination of pikey arches, and slightly tired suspension that's leading the rubbing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom