S203 bodywork.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tron

Car
S203 220CDI.
I am given to understand that a post 2003/Q2 built car is galvanised. so, firstly, is this true, secondly, is it effective? I would very much like my next car to be another Mercedes but I really do not want the experience souring with cancer of the coachwork. Were the post 2002 cars better or should I forget buying a decent S203?

My 2005 W203 320CDI estate's bodywork is still showing no signs of rust, unlike some of the the earlier 203s, So if you're looking to buy a W203, go for one from 2005 onwards as I'm fairly confident the bodywork is galvanised. I'm owned it for almost 5 years, am very happy with the car - at 120k miles it still does everything well .

My 2003 S203 C270CDI wasn't rusty ( although a couple of panels had mild orange peel suggesting they had been painted at some point ) , but the car was plagued by mechanical and electrical issues which made it the worst I have ever owned .

E Class estate is much more roomy for rear passengers and load carrying ; C Class OK for front occupants and modest load carrying , but load space noticeably smaller than E Class ( which also has standard SLS ) .

I am given to understand that a post 2003/Q2 built car is galvanised. so, firstly, is this true

Yes.
C CLASS -203 series- saloon and estates: -
All steel panels were galvanised from Quarter 2 2003 production onwards.
During the previous six months (Q4 2002 + Q1 2003) the process was
gradually introduced on the production line and therefore some vehicles
were galvanised during this lead-up period, but not all.

https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/bodywork/34227-galvanising-mercedes-cars.html

Thank you gents. I am currently awaiting the attentions of Slave to feed me and then I am off to look at an S202 with a slightly smaller engine than my Mother's cake mixer and a low mileage.
(Anybody ever put a 270 CDI in one of these?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom