S203 Boot Size?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biswak

Can anyone tell me what the boot opening width is? The car is a 2005 C Class 2.1 C220 CDI Avantgarde. I won't be able to borrow it until the weekend but need to transport a piece of furniture 110cm x 100cm x 31cm.

Providing there is more than 100cm width to access the the boot I should be good. Can anyone please confirm? Thanks.

You have 100cm width, but only as far as the wheel arches (about 60 cm in). Height is about 70cm.

Thank you! that's very helpful. So it 100cm exactly? Provided I could at least get it through the hatch I suppose it could be slanted and lifted over the arches.

Can't you put it on the back seats, with seatbelts around it? That's what I do with things that won't fit through the hatch.

Are we talking about the estate?

Thank you! that's very helpful. So it 100cm exactly? Provided I could at least get it through the hatch I suppose it could be slanted and lifted over the arches.

It's 107cm at the widest point (about halfway up), tapering down to 96cm at floor level.

Can't you put it on the back seats, with seatbelts around it? That's what I do with things that won't fit through the hatch.
If it's too big to fit through the rear hatch how is it going to get through the back doors? 100x110x30cm. I've already tried it on my Golf and the rear door is only about 90cm high.

I didn’t notice you were referring to the estate.

100x110x30cm = 39x43x12 inches
It won't stand up, height in car is about 31ins. but tailgate opening is only 29ins, highest point
Width in car between wheel arches is 32ins. tailgate opening is about 36ins wide
IMO I think you will struggle to get in in at all...

Why not hire a van for the day?

Make sure the rear seats actually fold down first. The latch on the 40% seat (drivers side) has been known to fail on these (happened to mine). If the 40% won't move you can not remove the roller cover as the rear seat back has to go down for the roller cover to be slid out of the rear passenger door.

If the person loaning the car to you uses it as a full size 'folded down' estate on a regular basis ignore what I have just said :rolleyes:

Oh , and remember the sloping back window robs the car of a whole chunk of load space.

Eeek! Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like it could be a mission. It doesn't need the height since it'll go in on its back, so only needs 31cm height. The 110cm length shouldn't be a problem, even my Mk4 Golf can handle that with the rear seats down. I'm just concerned about the 100cm width through the hatch - and this needs to be 100cm wide for at least 31cm in height. I'll make sure I take a good look at it before I set out.

If you fold down the rear seat pull the middle seat belt out first and secure it somehow so it won't retract - they're notorious for jamming if you don't do this.

A bit more obvious but when you return the seat backs to upright, keep the side belts out of the way - they tend to get behind the seat and get trapped in catch.

By the way, my car is a W203...and its an Estate.
Whilst this is true, it is also the accepted norm that when you say S instead of W you mean estate, hence S202, S203, S204, S210 etc...it's not written down but it's what we all understannd...OK?

By the way, my car is a W203...and its an Estate.

W203 is sometimes used generically to identify that incarnation of the C Class, but the actual model number for the estate is S203 (as per the title of this thread) ... W203 is the saloon. And the 203-based CLK coupe and cabriolet are C209 and A209 respectively.

Edit - this isn't a full list (the A124 is missing, for a start) but you'll get the idea:

Category:Mercedes-Benz model codes - Wikipedia

Last edited:
W203 is sometimes used generically to identify that incarnation of the C Class, but the actual model number for the estate is S203 (as per the title of this thread) ... W203 is the saloon. And the 203-based CLK coupe and cabriolet are C209 and A209 respectively.

Edit - this isn't a full list (the A124 is missing, for a start) but you'll get the idea:

Category:Mercedes-Benz model codes - Wikipedia
Just as expected from Mercedes Benz any sensible manufacturer making an estate (Wagen) might prefix it with 'W' and use 'S' for saloon (UK) or Sedan (USA) . I have the VeDoc from the production plant (0670 Bremen) and no where (and I mean no where) does it state that it is an S203. WDB203xxxxxxxxxxxx yes but no mention of 'S' . I could go on how the front of my car is in fact from a CLK so maybe it should have an 'A' in there somewhere as well, but I am losing the will to live. I do know if I search for parts using C55 AMG S203 instead of W203 it starts to get messy. Its

I could go on how the front of my car is in fact from a CLK so maybe it should have an 'A' in there somewhere as well

Or a C ... C209 for the coupe CLK ;) :D

Just to add to the fun ... the M-B Ascot service invoices for my car describe it as as a "T-Modell" - that's the pre-'94 designation for an estate :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom