S204 C63. Mis-matched door cill plates...normal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TaylorGJ

Car
C63
Hi All,

New owner, first Merc age 50!

I have one "Mercedes" door cill plate (drivers side) and one "AMG" cill plate (passenger side}. Is this normal or has one been changed?

Neither are illuminated.

Bit odd, wonder if one has been replaced and what the standard car would have?

Cheers, Guy

Both should read AMG on the cill plates.
One has been changed. Any evidence of an accident repair?

Both should read AMG on the cill plates.
One has been changed. Any evidence of an accident repair?
+1

Hopefully just got replaced for whatever reason and no accident

No evidence that I can see and all HPI clear etc. If they should both be AMG the replaced one is the drivers side and all the manufacturer stickers are still there under the door latch etc and intact so presume it's just been replaced. Odd.

No evidence that I can see and all HPI clear etc. If they should both be AMG the replaced one is the drivers side and all the manufacturer stickers are still there under the door latch etc and intact so presume it's just been replaced. Odd.
fyi HPI clear does not mean that the car has not been in an accident. It means that it has not been involved in an accident where the repair costs would make it not economic to repair - which in the case of a newish high value car could mean quite substantial damage would still be economic to repair. It is a strange thing to replace other than for an accident repair.

fyi HPI clear does not mean that the car has not been in an accident. It means that it has not been involved in an accident where the repair costs would make it not economic to repair - which in the case of a newish high value car could mean quite substantial damage would still be economic to repair. It is a strange thing to replace other than for an accident repair.
I thought if you was involved in an accident and insurance repaired your car it would show up on a HPI check

I thought if you was involved in an accident and insurance repaired your car it would show up on a HPI check
Nope, HPI check would only report a write off.

Thousands of cars are involved in accidents every year and repaired and would not be recorded.

Write offs are only really an economic thing.

Eg:

£2/3k of damage on a £5k car - write off, cat S/N recorded.

£10k of damage on a £50k car - repaired and HPI clear.

Same as privately repaired damage, eg if someone doesn’t want to claim for whatever reason.

Paint thickness gauge and a keen eye would be a better reference :)

As for the illuminated door sills, as far as I know this was part of one of the option packs - check the Datacard to see if the car is supposed to have that. And, if the Datacard says that the car is supposed to have that but it was removed, the it will come-up as a fault on STAR.

Last year coming back from spa HPI clear

Attachments

• IMG-20190902-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20190902-WA0002.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 9
I bet a lot of people think the same. But no. Older cheaper cars are written off for trivial damage but newer cars go unrecorded - and the newer and more expensive the car, the more likely it is to be unrecorded. Buyer beware as the saying goes.

One way would be to remove the non AMG sill plate and look for a sticker/date code on the underside of it. Replacing a sill for an illuminated/AMG or 'fancy' one is a common practice . But removing an AMG one from an actual AMG and replacing it with a generic MB one sounds a bit odd to me.

Put it this way , my 2006 S203 AMG has 2 AMG sill plates , as I suspect do most (if not all) of allsorts of AMG's out there.

One way would be to remove the non AMG sill plate and look for a sticker/date code on the underside of it. Replacing a sill for an illuminated/AMG or 'fancy' one is a common practice . But removing an AMG one from an actual AMG and replacing it with a generic MB one sounds a bit odd to me.

Put it this way , my 2006 S203 AMG has 2 AMG sill plates , as I suspect do most (if not all) of allsorts of AMG's out there.
If these are the embossed stainless kick plates like I have on my S204, they are a bit rubbish. My driver side one has fallen off twice and they damage really easily. The metal is like kitchen foil. I'm embarrassed to say that the ones on Mrs Spiky's SEAT are much better. And they light up at night.

I get all that, but if there had been damage into the cill then it would be odd that the original stickers look perfect, as you’d need to spray that area to get what looks like a perfect match? Or can these be replaced too?

As for the illuminated door sills, as far as I know this was part of one of the option packs - check the Datacard to see if the car is supposed to have that. And, if the Datacard says that the car is supposed to have that but it was removed, the it will come-up as a fault on STAR.
No, didn’t come with light up cills per decoder.

If these are the embossed stainless kick plates like I have on my S204, they are a bit rubbish. My driver side one has fallen off twice and they damage really easily. The metal is like kitchen foil. I'm embarrassed to say that the ones on Mrs Spiky's SEAT are much better. And they light up at night.
I agree they are quite thin…so could have been damaged and replaced. Car has been up on jacks and inspected and no signs of damage.

I wouldn't worry. As with most things the simplest explanation is usually correct. Probably just fell off / or got damaged and cheapskate owner / dealer just replaced with whatever they could get on the cheap. Simples

I wouldn't worry. As with most things the simplest explanation is usually correct. Probably just fell off / or got damaged and cheapskate owner / dealer just replaced with whatever they could get on the cheap. Simples
Most likely the Mercedes one was cheaper than the AMG one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom