S204 electric boot stuck closed - help buggy stuck in car on holiday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rollers

Car
C320 s204
Hi all. Firstly, as you can see this is my first post and I really hope someone can help us.

Anyways here's the story so far.

After arriving on holiday yesterday evening I came out to the car this morning to get the pram out of the boot of our car, however all I was greeted with is the motor clicking for a few seconds but the boot didn't open. I repeated this a few times and the boot motor made some nasty sounds. I can't manually open the boot and when I drive the car I am getting a warning that the boot is open. It for the life of me I can't open it.

What is really frustrating is our double pram is stuck in the back of the car and I can't get it out of the passages doors. If anyone can help I would be great full.

The car is 4 years old, so out of warranty plus I have just had it serviced by an I dependant merc garage so I don't the Mercedes are gonna help us. I myself am a motorcycle mechanic so any help you can give I should be able to put into practise.

I know I am new on the forum, lurked a while but I am alittle stuck 268 mile away from home with no pram for our kids and there starting to get heavy carrying them around ;(

Cheer all

hope this is relevant...

"Anyhow, after putting it all back in place and verifying that the electric latch control was working, I tried the hard key. It didn't work! It would work to disable the electric latch control but turning it counter-clockwise would not open the latch. I could see it was not moving the cable, so it wasn't the latch but the key/handle assembly at fault. I removed it and began to diagnose it. After watching the key turn and move a plastic lever that had no connection to the cable, it finally dawned on me! You turn the key counter-clockwise, THEN pull the handle to unlock it!!!

Anyhow, if your trunk latch ever fails, remember - key counter clockwise, hold in place, then pull on the handle!
biggrin.gif
"

...from Replaced trunk latch - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

I have had a few issues like this, I could see te hydraulic ram forcing with all it's might on the hinge and deforming the roof slightly.

After about a minute and me frantically pressing the button it gave up and I pushed it fully shut with my hand and it was OK.

If the car thinks it is released, can you not pull it fully open or push it shut manually?

S

ok, just spent an hour out in the rain in a very tight space with a double buggy trying to work out what is going on.

The roof motor seems to be working fine, it is lifting the left side the boot lid and bending the boot lid and roof slightly when in operation.

I have checked the fuse as mentioned and seems ok, havent got a multi meter here but looks good.

While i was squashed between the buggy and the roof i looked at the latch mech and it seems that the latch is not being released, however i can hear the click like a motor should be opening the latch.

i.e when i press either boot button, the inside drivers door button or key fob i can hear, click, the the motor ram whirling for a few seconds then stop.

I have also tried to push on the boot as hard as i can but it wont click or reset it self.

Is the latch connected to the latch motor by a cable? My gut instinct is the cable has gone if there is one.

With the boot closed, i cant strip the panels off to check, is there another way i can remove the latch mech while the boot is closed. I can see a bolt directly under the catch.. Any ideas.

Big thanks to all so far. Cheers

Is there not an emergency release?

On BMWs there is a little plastic tab you can remove and this forces it open.
Have you looked in the manual?

Did you try the key method?

"If the boot cannot be unlocked with the key or KEYLESS-GO, use the emergency key element. If you use the emergency key element to unlock and open the boot lid, the anti-theft alarm system will be triggered. Turn the emergency key element anti-clockwise from position
mbsymb6_inv_0031.png
as far as it will go to position
mbsymb6_inv_0032.png
. The boot is unlocked. Turn the emergency key element back to position
mbsymb6_inv_0031.png
and remove it. "

Cable might be visible if you can lift up rear seat?

I have only downloaded a manual, havent got the original one with me.

There is a hole through the plastic by the latch mech, however if i put the emergency key in there nothing seems to happen (tried for an hour this morning)

What i have done with the manual key is, pop in hole, turn clockwise by 90 deg and push left.

I am at a complete loss, unless i am looking at a the wrong manual

cheers again

to Paul/

For some reason there is no external lock on the estate...

Might be a daft suggestion (for a start because the battery might be in in the boot), but is it worth disconnecting the battery for a while to let everything reset?

Apologies if it is in the boot - I'll get me coat.

its in the boot, i have got the boot tray lid slid back so i can get to the battery. ill give it a go in the morning.

Just strange i can hear i can hear the latch motor... Really starting to wish i had a normal boot like every other car i have ever owned...

I should mention that I'm not familiar with any of this, just passed on what I found via google. So, wherever you managed to insert the key, won't it go anti-clockwise? If so, simultaneously press the boot-mounted release button?
Good luck.

Where abouts are you holidaying? There's sure to be a good Indi you could pop into for advice at least :dk:

Paul/ has the correct info on manually releasing the lock from the inside. That is what the manual says.

What happens if you use the power button on the door to do a full close on the mechanism? (you need to hold the lower part of the button down until it locks).

First of all thanks for everyone ideas. heres what i have been doing this morning.

1. I have tried and tried the emergency boot release for an hour again this morning and nothing.

2. I have disconnect the battery and still the same.

3. I have tried the drivers inside door boot lower button as well, Tried a full close, still nothing.

4. After looking at it again in the light this morning, the latch is not being moved by the motor, I can hear the latch motor clicking (as to open the latch) then the ram motor whirling and bending the boot and roof a tad until it stops.

I am completely stumped.

I am down in falmouth, anyone know a good independent down here?

just noticed grumpyoldgit, we are both from the same town.. small world.

just noticed grumpyoldgit, we are both from the same town.. small world.

Hi Rollers (no pun intended).

A small world indeed mate. Obviously I wouldn't have known as you don't have your location showing, but it's always nice to say hello to a virtual neighbour and Merc owner. Just sorry about the circumstances of you realising the fact. Good luck with getting it sorted. :thumb:

And im not too far away...Stourport :thumb:

Hi evdok,

Not very far at all...... 10 - 12 miles I reckon.

Spent some happy times in Stourport in my youth :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom