S204 parking brake pinged off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pembssurf

Car
toyota
So my W204 estate has just the parking (foot brake) go loose to the point if not catching. The cable is obviously slack so it’s either a snapped cable which I find unlikely or cable has popped off a spring or adjuster somewhere. After a quick glance there was No obvious cable dangling on inside of hub. Is there an east to access splitter or adjuster somewhere mid way down the car that can be accessed from inside? If so how? Iv tried removing the rear bench seat but that looks like a no go at this point. If it’s a cable that be only accessed from underneath it’s going to be a garage job as I don’t fancy doing it with a trolley jack and stands.

If it's as the 203 the adjuster is accessed below the rear seat, as you've tried.
Expect a couple of 10mm bolts, and a larger one on the cover plate.

3 cables are held at the adjuster, and there is a spring that might have snapped.
A clue for the spring is if the pedal still activates the brake, but needs your foot to pull it back.
If a cable has let go, or snapped, the parking brake would be ineffective.

Had the exact same thing happen to mine,
The spring has popped off the lever, easy fix, removed the plastic side panel and stick a torch onto the mechanism. You will see the mechanism; it might take a bit to figure out what goes where but it will make sense once you get under the dash and have a look. Took me about 10 minutes. Now I don't use it at all. apart from for the mot test :)

On a S203 estate (PS your car is an S204 not a W..sorry for being such a pedant :)) the trap door is below the rear seats and very easy to access , maybe different on a 204 . Do not assume this is an easy fix . If it is the same as a 203 and the cable has snapped in the cassette it has to be removed from underneath the car , easy access to adjust and lube from the top.... but (on my car) Exhaust off , drive shaft disconnected at the diff and fuel tank (dropped a little) to replace cassette.

Attachments

• Unit.JPG
    Unit.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Trap door.JPG
    Trap door.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • trap door 2.JPG
    trap door 2.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
PS I was also of the mindset of not using it until MOT time . But I have changed my mind , I use it quite often now and keep an eye on the 'free' movement of the handbrake pedal.

First signs of return spring problems (the one in the poorly designed rear splitter ) is the pedal not returning. You can not buy just the spring (maybe online somewhere ?) so the whole thing has to be replaced.

This might help at the other end, don't worry about the little plastic 'clicker' shown here , just note the cable position.

MB handbrake.jpg

Last edited:
I always thought it was an unnecessarily complex bit of kit just to save a bit of space in the centre console.

Sorry to say no trap door on the S204 - ask me how I know.:(
Sorry to hear that , pi$$ poor design all round. a big hole in the pressed part under the car to allow 'service access' , which in turn allows years of road crud to be thrown in there off the drive shaft :doh: .

If it's any consolation the (obviously more expensive) deleted trap door access still uses an open bottomed cassette that still allows crud up in there.

PS I was also of the mindset of not using it until MOT time . But I have changed my mind , I use it quite often now and keep an eye on the 'free' movement of the handbrake pedal.

First signs of return spring problems (the one in the poorly designed rear splitter ) is the pedal not returning. You can not buy just the spring (maybe online somewhere ?) so the whole thing has to be replaced.

This might help at the other end, don't worry about the little plastic 'clicker' shown here , just not the cable position.

View attachment 132658
This is how my problems have started with the pedal not returning. Now the pedal is loose and brake inoperative and the handbrake release lever on the dash is totally loose as well with obvious cable slack. I did have to WD40 this mechanism for the same last year so I guess this mechanism is my first port of call.

It is . the return spring is a small clock spring that is mounted on a pin that has a tubular collar around it, crap gets in it and no amount of lube is going to help , especially if thick white grease has been used , it slowly seizes up and the pedal return becomes worse until total failure.

You can see the collar here around the pin that holds the spring in , on mine the long part of the spring snapped off. Once off the car (new one fitted) I attacked it alongside my workshop buddies ( flame & violence ) and was able to unscrew the pin from the body of the cassette .

One day I might try and find a suitable spring and rebuild it and then donate it to the museum of pi$$ poor engineering designs in Stuttgart.

Spring.JPG

Well a slither of good news here. My car (63 plate) is on the last year of the Mercedes extended warranty and the foot operated mechanism is covered by it but not Cables. I’d only finished fitting new front discs and pads yesterday in the rain so really wasn’t fancying doing the cable if it’s an underneath job.

That’ll be two rear springs, 2 parking sensors and this claimed for just this year so il prob make my £450 policy back.

Well a slither of good news here. My car (63 plate) is on the last year of the Mercedes extended warranty and the foot operated mechanism is covered by it but not Cables. I’d only finished fitting new front discs and pads yesterday in the rain so really wasn’t fancying doing the cable if it’s an underneath job.

That’ll be two rear springs, 2 parking sensors and this claimed for just this year so il prob make my £450 polic

That’ll be two rear springs, 2 parking sensors and this claimed for just this year so il prob make my £450 policy back.
Annoying isn it?
You do a job and say "great I can chill for a while now", then summat else says "yer think so".

I always thought it was an unnecessarily complex bit of kit just to save a bit of space in the centre console.
Wouldn't be so easy to have a centre lever in the 639.

If it's any consolation the (obviously more expensive) deleted trap door access still uses an open bottomed cassette that still allows crud up in there.
On the van the mechanism can only be accessed from below. Course it gets all the junk thrown at it.
This year I stripped mine out and reinstalled with a chopped up tuppaware container round it.
Time'll tell if that's a good idea.

oops

This is how my problems have started with the pedal not returning. Now the pedal is loose and brake inoperative and the handbrake release lever on the dash is totally loose as well with obvious cable slack. I did have to WD40 this mechanism for the same last year so I guess this mechanism is my first port of call.
I had exactly the same issue, pedal not returning and release handle all floppy. My indy garage replaced the whole foot-operated mechanism which solved the problem -
although they had an additional job to do as one of the captive nuts on the transmission tunnel that the mechanism attaches to had broken free, requiring a new nut to be welded on. Quality stuff from MB:(

I think at some point MB said 'oh this is a bit $hit and fitted a trap door to some models BUT left the bloody great (no longer required hole) in the bottom of the brake split cassette , kind of missing the point of the greatness of the trap door.

Do not forget these were the same people who deleted (then re instated) a drain plug on the TC of some of the transmissions they fitted :doh: :banana:

If it's as the 203 the adjuster is accessed below the rear seat, as you've tried.
Expect a couple of 10mm bolts, and a larger one on the cover plate.

3 cables are held at the adjuster, and there is a spring that might have snapped.
A clue for the spring is if the pedal still activates the brake, but needs your foot to pull it back.
If a cable has let go, or snapped, the parking brake would be ineffective.
Interesting that is exactly what the parking brake on my C209 is like

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom