S204 Seat comfort

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

8ig_steve

Car
GLC 250D Sport
I drove a fair few miles on test drives before purchasing and I had no indication of the problem but now I am finding the seat base in my new S204 extremely uncomfortable, to such an extent that I need to sit on a cushion from our garden chairs.

Has anyone else had/solved this problem.

I drove a fair few miles on test drives before purchasing and I had no indication of the problem but now I am finding the seat base in my new S204 extremely uncomfortable, to such an extent that I need to sit on a cushion from our garden chairs.

Has anyone else had/solved this problem.

My S211 seats are uncomfortable too.

*** did a piece on setting up seats - he should be able to provide a link for you when he spots this (which he will).

I found them initially a bit uncomfortable but mostly due to my width, wearing lighter clothes has been thhe answer for me.

I'm sure *** will be along n a tick to help. He had some comfort issues with Mercedes seats.

My S211 seats are uncomfortable too.

*** did a piece on setting up seats - he should be able to provide a link for you when he spots this (which he will).

Indeed john

Taken from another forum.

I was taught to drive by a rally instructor up at Knockhill

His advice in how to set up a seat to maximise both comfort and control of a car.

1. Your thighs should be fully supported by the seat base althou from the knee you should be able to get 3 fingers between underneath your knee and the contact point of your thigh and seat base. Legs should have a reasonable bend on them, not stretched out straight, you need to be able to delpoy the pedals easily.
2. With your shoulders against the back of the seat your wrist should be able to reach the top of the wheel.
3. Your arms should be bent a min of 120 degrees or 90 degrees. The IAM handbook confirms this.
4. At least a fist of room above your head should be achieved.
5. You should be able to turn the wheel 180 degrees without shifting in the seat. If this motion moves your shoulders away from the seat, you are too far back.

I've adopted this position of setting a seat up and always been comfortable, bar the 212 which has unusually short seat squabs.

The 204 does allow for a good driving position.

Here is my post

Thats the key to having control over the car. Shoulders against seat back, wrists should wrest in top of wheel. You should be able to turn the wheel 180 degrees at hands 10 to 2 or quarter to three without having to lift forward from the seat. Having you back upto your shoulder in contact with the seat back eases fatique, gives you a greater feel for what the car is doing and ultimately gives you a greater level of control over the car.

Arms should be bent 120 degrees at the least, 90 degrees the most.

Most folk sit far to far away from the wheel, as if they wish to avoid it.

Legs should be supported up to an inch at the least before the knee. Feet should be able to depress pedals without shifting in the seat. A good knee to thigh angle will be about 110-120 degrees.

In Most modern cars, especially those with reach adjustable steering a good driving position is achievable.

DSC00666.jpg

DSC00828.jpg

Like this handsome fellow

Many thanks ***. You have shown me that I sit way too far back from the steering wheel and my seat base is too high at the front.

I will be following these great instructions to set my driving position correctly tomorrow.

I have been having problems setting up the seat in my S-Class but now have some good info to help:thumb:

I have to say the most comfortable and supportive seat I have ever known was the full leather Recaro in my 2.3-16. It had very little adjustment available but was simply perfect right out of the box. The car took me to Le Mans and back and I got out of the car at each end of the journey without a single ache or pain and feeling refreshed. Amazing seats.

The S-Class however is a different story. I went for a 3 hour round trip last week and came home with leg pain and back cramps. But now I realise it's simply because I have set the seat up totally wrong !

Seat comfort update

I have found out why my seats are so uncomfortable. The metal tray in the seat base folds upwards near the edge of the seat to form a ridge about 3" in from the edge of the seat. This ridge has a smooth rounded top but is only covered by about 1" of foam. Having a wide rear end I am sitting on these two ridges and it is not pleasant.

It looks to me as though they have used the base from the sports seats and just put flat cushions on the """Comfort""" version.

So if you see a C Class Estate with extra cushions on the drivers seat it is probably mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom