S205 C63 Estate - Tyre choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SeeSixty3

I have a W/S205 c63 estate which came with Michelin Pilot Supersports.

I find these tyres terrible when cold or wet and the grip levels improve when they are warm but they don’t inspire confidence at all.

The current tyre sizes are 245/35/19 and 266/35/19 on the rears.

I am planning to go for PS4S and upgrade the rear to 2753519 to obtain a bit more grip.

I have had PS4S on my W204 and RS3 in recent times and found them to be excellent and predictable in most circumstances.

Has anyone else had the same experience and any advice?

I switched to PS4S's late last year from SuperSports on my C63S and never looked back. From the day I had them fitted (mixed weather, wet and dry roads, November temps) the difference was night and day. Wouldn't change for anything else now.

Michelin PS4S or Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport is all you need. Very similar tyres, mainly separated by availability in different sizes.

Here's an excellent video comparing the latest tyres.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you think the Pilot Supersports are difficult to get along with in cold and wet conditions then you should try Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres, they’re more so.

They perform beautifully when warm and in the target operating temperature range but it’s difficult to do that in the road, made even more difficult in cold wet conditions.

Pilot Sport 4 S offer most of the warm performance with fewer compromises when not up to operating temperature. Not to be confused with ambient temperature.

Supersports are terrible in anything but warm, dry conditions. I’m trying to finish off the pair on the back of my c63, but the weather is not conducive. The ps4s is a superb tyre. Probably the best out there at the moment

Another vote for P4S - cannot fault them (apart from the recent slow puncture and probable replacement after my wife hit a broken kerb at the weekend, but I certainly cannot blame the tyre for that)!

Agree with the PS4s, excellent tyres and a step up from the supersports.

I've just ordered a pair of 255/35/19 PS4s for the front of my E63 & can't wait to get them fitted when the wheels are refurbed first week of June - i'm running 285/30/19 Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersports on the rear but will change these to PS4s when the time comes.
Always ran my E46 M3 on Pilot sports - fantastic tyres (in my humble opinion)

I've just ordered a pair of 255/35/19 PS4s for the front of my E63 & can't wait to get them fitted when the wheels are refurbed first week of June - i'm running 285/30/19 Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersports on the rear but will change these to PS4s when the time comes.
Always ran my E46 M3 on Pilot sports - fantastic tyres (in my humble opinion)
I've just put 285/30/19 Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersports on the rear of my E63. Were you not impressed?

I've just put 285/30/19 Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersports on the rear of my E63. Were you not impressed?
Hi Rich, they're fine & have worn well - certainly better than the PZero's that they replaced - I was going to buy the same Goodyears for the front but Black Circles had a 15% off sale the other day so the PS4s's were cheaper than the Goodyears.
Have PZero's on the front at the moment & they're ok but couldn't resist the prices for the PS4s's.

I was looking to get 4 new Michelin PS4S for my E63 but I was unable to find the rears in the UK (285/30/19). I called Michelin UK and they confirmed there was no stock and a backlog as their production plants were not working at 100%. So I ordered Goodyear F1 Supersports which I am yet to fit on. I will write a feedback here after I put them on and they are bedded in.

I have recently had some new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 rear tyres fitted for my CLS 55, and have found these brilliant in all weather conditions.

Good to know positive reviews all round for Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5. I'm only a couple of hundred miles in but already finding better grip than the P Zeros, with fewer accidental slides!

Edit: mine are Eagle F1 Supersports 🙄

Last edited:
I've finally fitted Goodyear F1 Supersports on all four corners. I thought I would feedback as promised. These tyres are very good compared to what was on my car before (Bridgestone Potenza). Sidewalls are soft enough to give a quiet and comfortable ride. At the same time the front end is precise. I have only driven the car in the dry and grip is outstanding. They are also a bit more fuel efficient which is kind of irrelevant for an E63 but still good to know. I cannot compare to Michelins as I haven't had them on any of my cars but I can say that Goodyears are excellent so far.

I have a W/S205 c63 estate which came with Michelin Pilot Supersports.

I find these tyres terrible when cold or wet and the grip levels improve when they are warm but they don’t inspire confidence at all.

The current tyre sizes are 245/35/19 and 266/35/19 on the rears.

I am planning to go for PS4S and upgrade the rear to 2753519 to obtain a bit more grip.

I have had PS4S on my W204 and RS3 in recent times and found them to be excellent and predictable in most circumstances.

Has anyone else had the same experience and any advice?
I switched to PS4S when my PSS tyres wore out last year. I have been very happy with them, albeit went for the standard sizes. With hindsight, I perhaps should have gone up 10mm F&R.

I have recently had some new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 rear tyres fitted for my CLS 55, and have found these brilliant in all weather conditions.
Have these all round on my MX-5, excellent tyres I’m very pleased with them. Very different application though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom