S205 parktronic fault

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeBenz1

Car
S205, 2016 C250d Bluetec AMG line
Hi, my S205 has a parking sensor issue. Front and rear sensors are both showing two red lights and a beep, when in drive or reverse. They were working fine, then a short intermittent issue, the failed.

anyone know the best diy approach to isolating the issue?

Get the car on STAR and read the error codes.

This fault sometimes resets itself, if not then it will likely be a failed sensor.

But you'll need to get the car on STAR (or iCarsoft, if doing it DIY) to read the fault codes and confirm the fault. If it's a failed sensor, it will also tell you exactly which sensor failed, which will save some time and effort.

Hi, my S205 has a parking sensor issue. Front and rear sensors are both showing two red lights and a beep, when in drive or reverse. They were working fine, then a short intermittent issue, the failed.

anyone know the best diy approach to isolating the issue?
I had mine into MB Carlisle in December. Exactly the same issue you’re describing. The fault was water ingress/corrosion in the wiring harness connection behind the drivers side front wheel arch. Apparently a common fault.

They cleaned up the contacts, replaced the rubber gaskets and resealed.

The work was carried out under Used Approved warranty and they said if the fault re-occurs then they will book the car in for bumper removal and a replacement sensor wiring harness/loom.

Hope this helps. 👍

Having the same problem with mine. Before lockdown, a mate plugged in an iCarsoft code reader and one of the front sensors is showing a fault. The sensors make a faint clicking sound with just the ignition on and one of them isn’t, so may just be a poor connection. So when the weather picks up, I’ll get it on the ramps, pull the under tray off and have a proper look.

Last edited:
Having the same problem with mine. Before lockdown, a mate plugged in an iCarsoft code reader and one of the front sensors is showing a fault. The sensors make a faint clicking sound with just the ignition on and one of them isn’t, so may just be a poor connection. So when the weather picks up, I’ll get it on the ramps, pull the under tray off and have a proper look.
Not sure about the OP Jay but certainly in my case there was a 2 second beep when engaging F or R. Then the full sensor system (front and rear) would turn itself off (indicated by the wee red light on the parking sensor button on the control panel to the right of steering wheel.

Sane with yours?

Not sure about the OP Jay but certainly in my case there was a 2 second beep when engaging F or R. Then the full sensor system (front and rear) would turn itself off (indicated by the wee red light on the parking sensor button on the control panel to the right of steering wheel.

Sane with yours?
My parking sensor button is on the centre console, but yep the same with a beep and ‘wee red light’.

My parking sensor button is on the centre console, but yep the same with a beep and ‘wee red light’.

From time to time I get a beep with 4 red bars coming on, but then it resets itself and it's fine. Happenses maybe 3-4 times a year, so not very frequent. No idea what's causing it.

You can test each sensor individually by getting someone to sit in the car and engage reverse for the rear or drive for the front then go round each sensor and gently hover your finger over the sensor so it just makes contact and you should feel a pulse from the sensor do this for all and the one that doesn't work is defective. Is you have all the front or rear sensors not working then check the loom connector as mentioned for water corrosion or poor connection

From time to time I get a beep with 4 red bars coming on, but then it resets itself and it's fine. Happenses maybe 3-4 times a year, so not very frequent. No idea what's causing it.
Mine does it everytime the car starts and a gear is engaged (D or R). I‘m pretty sure for me it’s either one of the front sensors (No.3 I think) or it’s connection.

This fault sometimes resets itself, if not then it will likely be a failed sensor.

But you'll need to get the car on STAR (or iCarsoft, if doing it DIY) to read the fault codes and confirm the fault. If it's a failed sensor, it will also tell you exactly which sensor failed, which will save some time and effort.
Cheers Markjay, will icarsoft tell me which sensor too? I’ve been looking at an icarsoft device for general diagnostics but wanted to know if they’re any good

I had mine into MB Carlisle in December. Exactly the same issue you’re describing. The fault was water ingress/corrosion in the wiring harness connection behind the drivers side front wheel arch. Apparently a common fault.

They cleaned up the contacts, replaced the rubber gaskets and resealed.

The work was carried out under Used Approved warranty and they said if the fault re-occurs then they will book the car in for bumper removal and a replacement sensor wiring harness/loom.

Hope this helps. 👍
Yes! Helps a lot. I’m familiar with taking the front bumper off as I recently fitted a new grill. Not that that caused the issue, but I know where all the connections are. Cheers

Sane with yours?
Yep, that’s the same with mine, so I can’t even listen with a stethoscope to find a faulty sensor. It just deactivates too quickly.

Yes! Helps a lot. I’m familiar with taking the front bumper off as I recently fitted a new grill. Not that that caused the issue, but I know where all the connections are. Cheers
That’s intriguing. My sensors became faulty just a week or two after I had my new grille fitted. 🤔

That’s intriguing. My sensors became faulty just a week or two after I had my new grille fitted. 🤔
Well, I suppose there’s a chance that disconnecting them caused initiated the issue (I didn’t disconnect the battery) but with the amount of rain/snow we’ve had recently...it’s the water ingress issue.

Well come on Mike Benz and Happytalk 73 show us the pictures of the grills?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom