S205 Steering wheel vibration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gubien

Car
Mercedes C300 ESTATE 19
Hello,

C300 from '19 with AMG line in/exterior.(12.000 km on the clock when the fault occoured)

I have a problem with a workshop here in DK. MB Dealer fixed a squeaking noise from the front and a clicking driver seat on warranty.
When I picked it up, the steering wheel then had a vibration from 60-140 kph. The workshop has LOOKED at the car numerous times, but not done a single thing has been done as it has H&R spring fitted and they claim that's the issue.
The car was delivered from another workshop with this lowering kit as new car, it was working perfectly fine for 18 months without any issues at all.

The vibration is present on two similar tyre setups, summer 19" AMG from the previous C43 and 19" Borbet VTX, but running same 225/40-225/35 -19. Both runflats.

There is zero rudder when braking.

What on earth could this be?

Hello,

C300 from '19 with AMG line in/exterior.(12.000 km on the clock when the fault occoured)

I have a problem with a workshop here in DK. MB Dealer fixed a squeaking noise from the front and a clicking driver seat on warranty.
When I picked it up, the steering wheel then had a vibration from 60-140 kph. The workshop has LOOKED at the car numerous times, but not done a single thing has been done as it has H&R spring fitted and they claim that's the issue.
The car was delivered from another workshop with this lowering kit as new car, it was working perfectly fine for 18 months without any issues at all.

The vibration is present on two similar tyre setups, summer 19" AMG from the previous C43 and 19" Borbet VTX, but running same 225/40-225/35 -19. Both runflats.

There is zero rudder when braking.

What on earth could this be?
Is the vibration from the front or rear? Favourites are wheel balance which is unlikely as you've tried 2 sets of wheels; still possible, though as is a buckled wheel. Also check drive shafts, steering joints and wheel bearings. The front wheel alignment may have gone 'out' as a result of the lowering kit settling with time.

Maybe worth while having the suspension checked by the company that modded it.

Ernie

Was the issue there before the dealer touched the car ??
No, there was zero shaking before the dealer has it in ,the steering wheel was "dead". Now there is a shaking/vibration, kinda "nervous" feel to it.

Is the vibration from the front or rear? Favourites are wheel balance which is unlikely as you've tried 2 sets of wheels; still possible, though as is a buckled wheel. Also check drive shafts, steering joints and wheel bearings. The front wheel alignment may have gone 'out' as a result of the lowering kit settling with time.

Maybe worth while having the suspension checked by the company that modded it.

Ernie
I'm not quite sure where it origins from. Can the front alignment go out "from morning to evening?"

"Dealer fixed a squeaking noise from the front."
How did they and what did they disturb in the process?

"Dealer fixed a squeaking noise from the front."
How did they and what did they disturb in the process?
They applied some special white MB grease at the top og the springs.

but i’d prefer the squeak over the vibration anytime!

Maybe that is where the problem is (starting). A worn rubber or spring, shock.

I'm wondering if the dealer who fixed the squeak may have unknowingly dislodged the lowering spring when they placed it up on the ramp ?? I know the repair you talk about in regards to the white paste on the shocker covers this would be done without having to remove anything but as you say there are lowering springs fitted maybe worth a quick look at these make sure they are still sitting correctly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom