S205 Towbar help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jamesworts

Car
C300h Sport premium plus.
Hi all

New member and new owner of a 2015 C300h Sport premium+.

I need a towbar, I’ve checked everywhere and having issues.

The car is plated to tow, so legally is fine.

Fitting wise I am more than competent.

So my spec has keyless go comfort, which Brink say is a reason their towbar isn’t compatible.

I am also finding this with others also.

After a lot of reading of other posts, it appears to be do to the “kick to open” boot.

Has anyone any experience of this? Have you managed to get that function disabled and the rest of the keyless go pack working? Or even relocated the sensor in the bumper?

Not fitting a towbar is not an option.

Many thanks all.

Hello and welcome to the forum. If you do a search on here I am sure someone moved the boot sensor.
Search also for "C350e" as that is also a hybrid and faces the same issues.
Please report back when you have successfully fitted it as it helps others in the future. :)

Hi,

Thanks,

I’ll give that a try, I had looked at a few posts, didn’t see that one.

I will definitely report back once completed.

Thanks

Hi All,

To confirm my car spec:-

C300h Hybrid Sport Premium Plus with Keyless Go Comfort, Pano roof etc etc.

I have, after a lot of negativity from all the big towbar suppliers, successfully installed a Brink 588300 detachable towbar and dedicated Brink 727628 13pin wiring kit WITHOUT any bumper cuts and WITHOUT disabling "kick to open/handsfree boot opening".

Kick to open still works with the towball attached, with reduced sensitivity, I would seriously advise against it though!!! I had steel toe caps on and caught the tower!.

Without the towball fitted all is working well.

Just got to get the car programmed.

The wiring kit was very easy to install.

Slight snag, took to Mercedes independent with full Mercedes diagnostics.

Following instructions for the wiring kit, it failed at the first hurdle.

Add equipment code “550”, the system regected this saying not permissible for the car, or words to that effect, the guy is waiting for MB Germany to come back to him.

Anyone had this issue and know how to work around it?

Thanks all.

Slight snag, took to Mercedes independent with full Mercedes diagnostics.

Following instructions for the wiring kit, it failed at the first hurdle.

Add equipment code “550”, the system regected this saying not permissible for the car, or words to that effect, the guy is waiting for MB Germany to come back to him.

Anyone had this issue and know how to work around it?

Thanks all.
Guess: try disabling the hands free opening feature.

I asked the guy at the garage and he wasn’t keen on doing this.

I suggested equipment remove, code 871 (sensors for trunk lid opening and closing) but he’s says it’s not as simple as that, I trust him as he’s got all the right gear.

He tells me that while hooked up, it connects to MB checks the requested retrofit code, if MB don’t approve it, the process won’t continue, which makes sense.

Not sure why turning the sensor of would/should work as at it works fine with the towbar.

MHHauto have suggested that he codes it offline in some kind of developer/expert mode using “Vediamo” which means it’s doesnt go online and check anything with MB.

All the lights work on the electrics, but the fog light and parking sensors on the car don’t cut out.

The guy at the garage is very very good, he did carry out some updates while the car was there as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom