S210 corrosion repairs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shoferdave

Car
E320 CDI
Hi, I have a 2000 E320 CDI Avantgarde with the usual collection of corrosion issues. I'm looking for a decent repairer in North London. My main concern at the moment is around the front jacking points (MOT advisory). I think the car deserves better than the usual "tack a plate over it" approach as there are signs of movement in the tube the standard wheel-change jack fits into. Given the 210s' record with corrosion I'm hoping there's a proper repair plate available somewhere, but I need a decent job doing with or without this. Any suggestions would be welcome, especially if you have experience. Thanks.

Mines failed MOT recently on multiple sites of rust, more places than I'd be happy with just sorting out and carrying on with. Can't believe how quickly the rust has come on, there was virtually nothing on it when I bought the car three years ago and now I'm having to break the car because of it.

Best of luck finding somewhere for it, generally finding welder/fabricators will be cheaper than having it done at a body-works.

You can buy repair panels for the jacking pads below the tubes. Three of the four on mine have gone. I would imagine that the rest can also be bought.
Interestingly, mine passed the mot with no advisories. I queried it with another garage and was told it was only the opinion of the tester to give advisories.

Hi, I have a 2000 E320 CDI Avantgarde with the usual collection of corrosion issues. I'm looking for a decent repairer in North London. My main concern at the moment is around the front jacking points (MOT advisory). I think the car deserves better than the usual "tack a plate over it" approach as there are signs of movement in the tube the standard wheel-change jack fits into. Given the 210s' record with corrosion I'm hoping there's a proper repair plate available somewhere, but I need a decent job doing with or without this. Any suggestions would be welcome, especially if you have experience. Thanks.

Why not contact Wayne Gates of Harrow and ask Terry`s advice?

Regards

John

If you haven't already, before you decide to repair, take off both sill covers, the rear bumper and all four arch liners.
Prod the rear sub-frame frontal mount points and the front spring perches.

One I broke recently had sailed through MOTs for years but was thoroughly rotten in most of these concealed areas (only the perches were OK).

Thanks, I also have problems behind, for sure, the o/s sill cover [blisters creeping out !], and the bottom of the spare wheel well has disappeared completely !!! The rear sub-frame mounts are good, as are the front spring perches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom