1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S210 corrosion repairs

Discussion in 'Bodywork' started by Shoferdave, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Shoferdave

Shoferdave New Member

Car:
    E320 CDI
    Hi, I have a 2000 E320 CDI Avantgarde with the usual collection of corrosion issues. I'm looking for a decent repairer in North London. My main concern at the moment is around the front jacking points (MOT advisory). I think the car deserves better than the usual "tack a plate over it" approach as there are signs of movement in the tube the standard wheel-change jack fits into. Given the 210s' record with corrosion I'm hoping there's a proper repair plate available somewhere, but I need a decent job doing with or without this. Any suggestions would be welcome, especially if you have experience. Thanks.

2. alex89

alex89 New Member

Car:
    E320 W210 Estate
    Mines failed MOT recently on multiple sites of rust, more places than I'd be happy with just sorting out and carrying on with. Can't believe how quickly the rust has come on, there was virtually nothing on it when I bought the car three years ago and now I'm having to break the car because of it.

Best of luck finding somewhere for it, generally finding welder/fabricators will be cheaper than having it done at a body-works.

1 person likes this.
  3. kwk

kwk Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    w210 e320 w210 e280. w163 ML 320.
    You can buy repair panels for the jacking pads below the tubes. Three of the four on mine have gone. I would imagine that the rest can also be bought.
    Interestingly, mine passed the mot with no advisories. I queried it with another garage and was told it was only the opinion of the tester to give advisories.

1 person likes this.
  4. jpwilliams

jpwilliams Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W210 DIESEL AUTO EST,LEXUS GS 450h
    Why not contact Wayne Gates of Harrow and ask Terry`s advice?

Regards

John

5. a111r

a111r Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S123 240TD, S210 320cdi, S202 250TD.
    If you haven't already, before you decide to repair, take off both sill covers, the rear bumper and all four arch liners.
    Prod the rear sub-frame frontal mount points and the front spring perches.

One I broke recently had sailed through MOTs for years but was thoroughly rotten in most of these concealed areas (only the perches were OK).

6. OP
    OP
    Shoferdave

Shoferdave New Member

Car:
    E320 CDI
    Thanks, I also have problems behind, for sure, the o/s sill cover [blisters creeping out !], and the bottom of the spare wheel well has disappeared completely !!! The rear sub-frame mounts are good, as are the front spring perches.

7. OP
    OP
    Shoferdave

Shoferdave New Member

Car:
    E320 CDI
    Thanks, will do next week.