S210 E55 - AMG locking diff? Which oil please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LawrenceMB

Car
Work wagon: 1998 S210 E320 . Holidays: 2000 S210 E55. Sunny days! 2000 CLK430
Hiya, I've picked up a facelift 210 E55 estate which I LOVE and want to change the diff oil as part of the full service I'm giving it. I've checked WIS and all the previous posts and forums but are even more confused with the conflicting info. Does anyone know please if the diff should take the 75W-85 as is ok for most MB cars, or the 75W-140 which WIS says should be used for the 211 with 'AMG locking diff'? I can't find anything specific to the 210 E55 on WIS. I've tried to attach some photos of the diff and markings but files are too large? Anyway the diff has the casing part number A210 350 01 05. The diff fluid capacity seems to be 1.6litres. The rear plate/cover seems to have 9 or 10 bolts? I can't see the very top of the diff, but if the rear plate and it's bolts are symethrical then it has 10 bolts. The breather is at the back top on the RH side. I tried to see if it was a LSD diff by jacking both rear wheels off the ground and turning either back wheel while gearbox in neutral, and the opposite wheel does turn the other direction - although if I turn it slowely enough the other wheel will remain stationary. I can't see anything that says AMG on the diff anywhere - does that mean it is not an 'AMG locking diff'? and so is ok to use the more general 75w-85? (which I have a couple of bottles of already) or is the 75w-140 the right one to use. Please help! Thanks

I have a similar dilemma with my car. Best way to be sure is to check the build sheet for the fact that a locking (LSD) diff is fitted and take things from there.

I have a similar dilemma with my car. Best way to be sure is to check the build sheet for the fact that a locking (LSD) diff is fitted and take things from there.
Thanks Gordon. How do I access a build sheet please? I've deciphered and checked the datacard but the diff is not mentioned. Is the buildsheet something different please? Thanks againfor replying mate - much appreciated.

Similar when I asked my indi to change my (non LSD) oil. He said he needed to see the diff before deciding on which oil it needed as there were different ones fitted. Or as the car was new to me (and him) he needed to determine if a previous owner had fitted a LSD perhaps.
Just one more complication in the life of an AMG !
My diff does have the cooling fin (heat exchanger) block fitted and is clearly marked 'AMG'.

good luck :thumb:

Similar when I asked my indi to change my (non LSD) oil. He said he needed to see the diff before deciding on which oil it needed as there were different ones fitted. Or as the car was new to me (and him) he needed to determine if a previous owner had fitted a LSD perhaps.
Just one more complication in the life of an AMG !
My diff does have the cooling fin (heat exchanger) block fitted and is clearly marked 'AMG'.

good luck :thumb:
Thanks Pete. My diff definitely DOESN'T have any AMG markings on it, nor any kind of heat exchanger/coolin fins. It just has an MB part number for the casing: A210 350 01 05.
So which did you and the mechanic decide for yours? the 75W-85 or the 75W-140?
And do I understand correctly that the normal MB diffs are LSD (Limit Slip Differential) and the 'AMG locking diffs' are not LSD?
Thanks again mate, Lawrence

All I can see on the invoice is 'Rear axle oil 0019893303' 2 litres £62.34. Do not take this as 'read' make sure you get the correct oil for your diff. Reminder , mine is a non LSD.

All I can see on the invoice is 'Rear axle oil 0019893303' 2 litres £62.34. Do not take this as 'read' make sure you get the correct oil for your diff. Reminder , mine is a non LSD.
Thanks Pete. That part number shows as 'Genuine Mercedes Hypoid Gear Oil SAE 75W-85 Differential Transfer Lubricant 1L', but I will take on-board your caution and not take it as read. So your diff is not LSD (non-locking that means?) but does have AMG clearly written on it. My doesn't have AMG written on it anywhere and when I jack up both back wheels and turn 1 the other spins in the opposite direction, which seems to indicate it's not and LSD diff also (both wheels would spin the same way?). Mine looks a pretty beefy diff - quite big and structural webs on the casing - I was surprised at the size of it - looks like off a small truck was my 1st thought. But dfinitley no AMG written on it anywhere so I'm wondering if I could take that as proof it's not an 'AMG locking diff' which specifies the thicker oil on WIS? (at least for the 211's - I which I could find something that refers directly to the 210 e55)
So if yours is not LSD and it looks like it was filled with the hypoid 75W-85 (from the invoice at least - but I won't hold you to that as gospel!) - just wondering what model is your AMG please mate? And guessing you've not had any issues with the diff since the oil was changed? Mine is a S210 e55 estate facelift.
Thanks mate
Lawrence

To determine whether you have an LSD or not, you will have to remove the diff and open the cover. It’s a pig of a job if you don’t have a ramp (and even if you do). FWIW my aftermarket LSD requires 80W-250.

I believe Pete’s got a C55.

To determine whether you have an LSD or not, you will have to remove the diff and open the cover. It’s a pig of a job if you don’t have a ramp (and even if you do). FWIW my aftermarket LSD requires 80W-250.

I believe Pete’s got a C55.
OK, Thanks Alex :)

Lawrence - yes, build sheet is the data card AFAIK. For more info about it all, see this thread.
That thread you directed me too was really good for identifying if I have an AMG locking diff fitted or not - it would seem NO as I don't have that code 471 on my datacard. Nor do I feel slight 'transmission wind up' on very low speed full lock turns, plus when I jacked up the rear axle and turned 1 wheel the other rotated in the opposite direction. All pointing to the fact I don't have the AMG locking diff - which means I can use the lighter 75w-85 Oil? I took the advice on this post also to send a message to the local dealer who also sold the car new to ask them about which oil to use. The irony is I went out and bought the 75w-140 today - and already had enough of the 75w-85 in stock at home from a previous vehicle. I'm also going to give Fuchs a ring monday morning and ask their technical person if the 75w-140 is definitely a hypoid gear oil (I'm guessing it is?) and if so that would give me the option to choose either oil it would seem - as the product data sheet on it said ok for non-LSD diffs too, which is why I'm wondering if MB still do think I should be using the heavier weight in it being the increased power being put through it by the higher output E55 engine? The diff certainly look beefy - but maybe that's just the standard diff for the 210 estates? I did have a bit of a shock when I 1st saw how beefy it looked when I 1st crawled under it. If anyone thinks it's a mistake to use the 75w-140 even though it appears to be not a locking AMG diff then please let me know! Meanwhile I'll post again when the other info I'm seeking comes through and let all know what I decide so if my diff blows up I can post that too and prevent anyone repeating the mistake. Meanwhile anymore comments/thoughts greatly appreciated.
Cheers

I think you’re overthinking it and will be fine with the thicker oil, especially if the diff has some miles on it.

Btw, diffs are beefy, awkward to handle and heavy as hell. Not an indication if there’s an LSD inside.

I think you’re overthinking it and will be fine with the thicker oil, especially if the diff has some miles on it.

Btw, diffs are beefy, awkward to handle and heavy as hell. Not an indication if there’s an LSD inside.
OK Thanks Alex :)

Thanks Pete. That part number shows as 'Genuine Mercedes Hypoid Gear Oil SAE 75W-85 Differential Transfer Lubricant 1L', but I will take on-board your caution and not take it as read. So your diff is not LSD (non-locking that means?) but does have AMG clearly written on it. My doesn't have AMG written on it anywhere and when I jack up both back wheels and turn 1 the other spins in the opposite direction, which seems to indicate it's not and LSD diff also (both wheels would spin the same way?). Mine looks a pretty beefy diff - quite big and structural webs on the casing - I was surprised at the size of it - looks like off a small truck was my 1st thought. But dfinitley no AMG written on it anywhere so I'm wondering if I could take that as proof it's not an 'AMG locking diff' which specifies the thicker oil on WIS? (at least for the 211's - I which I could find something that refers directly to the 210 e55)
So if yours is not LSD and it looks like it was filled with the hypoid 75W-85 (from the invoice at least - but I won't hold you to that as gospel!) - just wondering what model is your AMG please mate? And guessing you've not had any issues with the diff since the oil was changed? Mine is a S210 e55 estate facelift.
Thanks mate
Lawrence
Mine is a W203 2006 C55 AMG estate, its about a 100hp down on a E55 -same engine but E55 has supercharger - But C class is lighter.

It would be very unusual to find a locking/limited slip diff on a 210. Was this even a factory option on UK 210s?

As for AMG markings or cooling fins, they came on later models (211) not on your model E55 (210)

Mine is a W203 2006 C55 AMG estate, its about a 100hp down on a E55 -same engine but E55 has supercharger - But C class is lighter.
OK Pete, Thanks. Probably about the same HP maybe? As my 210 E55 is not supercharged - I think it was the 211's (onwards?)? that had that fitted (unfortunately!). Cheers :)

It would be very unusual to find a locking/limited slip diff on a 210. Was this even a factory option on UK 210s?

As for AMG markings or cooling fins, they came on later models (211) not on your model E55 (210)
OK, Thanks Will. Unsure if they even fitted them to 210's and no AMG markings or cooling fins to identify them until 211's - the plot thickens! I'm thinking now mine doesn't have the locking diff - but just in case if I can confirm with Fichs the 75w-140 is a hypoid gear oil too (guessing it is) then I'm going to cover my bases and fill the diff with that. Will post what Fischs say. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom