S210: how to drain petrol tank?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welland99

Car
W210 E280 estate 1999 facelift; 6th gen honda accord coupe 2000
What options have I for draining petrol from the fuel tank? Could I put a pipe down the filler neck and pump / syphon it out, or is there something in the filler to prevent this?

I assume you want to be able to refill it later... so not a screw driver and a lump hammer.

How about taking the fuel hose off the rail and letting the pump in the tank do the work for you?

Take the pipe between the tank and pump off(clamp it first) and drain.

I assume you want to be able to refill it later... so not a screw driver and a lump hammer.

How about taking the fuel hose off the rail and letting the pump in the tank do the work for you?

I was wondering about that myself. I have about 5+ gallons to drain, so might be a bit slow this way?

I honestly don't know, but I would have thought it comes out pretty quickly with no back-pressure on it; the pump in the Nissan is rated at 255lph.

If there is a hose line on the bottom, that might be a better choice. However, both my cars have in-tank pumps, and the fuel line is steel until the engine bay, so it's the easiest way I can think of (unless you've got an external pump and hose to use).

Don`t know about the Merc. system but you should not be able to use the in tank pump to help siphon the petrol as the engine has to run!.......it is a safety precaution......engine stops....pump stops.

But you can jump the connections just to use it if you know where?

The pump should at the very least come on to prime the lines; you can sometimes hear it run. - You're probably right that it won't keep running without a little encouragement.

IIRC the drain plug on the underside, which also contains the fuel strainer is removed using a 22mm hex.
I think I might have one somewhere. If you need it, let me know and I'll dig it out and post out to you if you wish.

So is the idea of putting a pipe down the filler tube a non-starter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom