S210 Problems, Brakes/Rear sus and running cool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winslo

Hi

Bought a 2000 E320 cdi estate for a cheap run about, car is nice, good spec, full history etc

Noticed these faults on the car wondering if someone can help?

1) Brake pedal feels springy under my foot. Cruise control doesnt work either, and occasionally the ESP warning triangle flickers but has no loss of power? Im thinking ABS ring and Brake pedal switch maybe? All tyres are same size and all correct psi

2) Coolant temp doesnt seem to rise very well, think the highest ive seen is about 65/70 and that was on a 65 mile drive, most of the time it was less - Sure a new thermostat will fix that! MPG was pretty pap too, 33mpg ona 65 mile drive which my s211 with 180k did the day before and got 45mpg

3) Glow plug light stays on after first start for 30 seconds - 1 min or so? Going to check voltage of all glow plugs and check relay to see if its burnt out a fuse (Where is this actually located??)

4) Rear suspension! It has a slight knock and i was told and it probablys is the rear subframe bushes, but the car looks to be sitting too low at the rear? The car seems to ride well enough its not hard and not bouncy. It is a little bit wayward in a straight line and skips a bit sideways over bumps when turning if that makes sense?

5) Boot struts are knakered! Any suggestions where to buy new ones? Dont want used ones from a breakers and cant see much on ebay

Other than that! (off the top of my head) all is well, few quid spent and should be a nice motor once again!

Cheers all

Last edited:
oh...and the speedo seems to jump/bounce a little too, wont sit pefectly still like it should!

Sounds like it could be the front pair of rear sub frame bushes. It will be easy to see with a wheel off...the centre separates from the outer.

A new stat will cure the temp...and might improve the mpg.

CC is odd, it often works even if the brake light switch is duff. ABS ring usually throws up more faults...limp home mode.

looked at the fluid, doesnt look black more of a browny oily colour?

How high should it be though? As it doesnt look like there is loads in there and cant see any level markers?

thanks

so i got my torch out at the oil level for suspension is WAY low, will buy a litre or two tomorrow and stick that in see if that helps any

so i got my torch out at the oil level for suspension is WAY low, will buy a litre or two tomorrow and stick that in see if that helps any

Don't bother mate, that's just how mine was!
The spheres have gone...(or one off them but best to change in pairs)
Common fault on the 210.
The fluid should be clear, the loss of fluid in the reservoir shows it is the spheres.
It could be a leak from one or more of the rear suspension pipes but I doubt it.....
Have a good look around underneath at the back, see if you can see any signs of leakage.
Adding fluid won't do a thing.

Last edited:
Yea i thought as much, after i wrote that did a bit more research on the spheres, juat had it out and the back end is definitally harder than it should be and its sitting too low

Will get some ordered tomorrow

Yea i thought as much, after i wrote that did a bit more research on the spheres, juat had it out and the back end is definitally harder than it should be and its sitting too low

Will get some ordered tomorrow

SELF LEVELLING VAC SPHERE W124,W210,W140 -FITS NEAR REAR SHOCKS MERCEDES E-CLASS | eBay
^ These are the cheapest I can find online ^
You will also need at least 2 ltrs of the correct fluid from Mercedes @£14 ltr + VAT and the small filter for inside the fluid resovoir £4 + VAT
I also had to buy the 2 x 17mm pipes which went into the end of the spheres @ £16 each + VAT each as they were just welded in, buy the time I would have got them out the nuts would have been knacked.
Good luck - drove me mad until I sorted it! :thumb:

Last edited:
Euro car parts have the suspension sphere at £61 with free delivery. remember to enter the club discount code MBCLUB25 ordered online.
I agree it's likely you will need the large pipes that go to the centre 17mm compression nut, as mine wouldn't budge (after 14yrs) until I got brutal

The glow plug light was staying on after start up on my e280 estate, turned out to be the relay had gone. Good luck

Finally fitted a pair of Corteco spheres from ECP @£61 each. it feels like better damping (of the springs) and the ride quality has improved. However still have the cluncks when going over small road imperfections especially at low speed.

So changed everything on the back bar the dampers, and the car is still sitting low in the same position with a firmish ride, how can i get the car back up to the proper ride height??

Check to make sure that the rear level switch has the bar still connected, it is close to the driver side rear and there should be a short rod connecting from the switch to the suspension, these are known to corrode and either break or seize up

If you've checked the link is good, make sure it is in the top of two holes in the stabiliser bar bracket. the difference was 3cms of ride height on my car

Did you bleed the system correctly?
How much fluid have you added after fitted the spheres?
I had to remove the actuator arm and manually raise and lower the suspension half a dozen times.......
Must have added 1.5 ltrs to the system in the end!
Mine also sat low and was still hard until it was bled.

This was from my thread hope it helps:
I have changed the spheres today, fitted a new filter in the reservoir then bled the system by disconnecting the self level actuator arm and manually operating the self level system up and down.
At first not much happened then after 5-10 minutes the car started to lift, at this point I stopped the car, checked the reservoir level and added more fluid.
Re started the car, up and down again then re attached the actuator arm.
Went for a drive and ?????? No change still clonking
Back on the ramps, more up and down, more fluid added as it took a little more.
Back out for a drive and still the same!
Had a cuppa whilst sitting looking at the back end and I thought it looked a little low.
Back on the ramps, adjusted the actuator arm from A: the lower hole to B: the upper hole (Not sure if it should have been in B all along?) and the last thing I did was unbolt both lower shock mounts (2 x 16mm bolts and nuts on each side) greased and re torqued.
Went for a drive and ?????
Cured no noise at all!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom