S210 Problems shifting from D to R

Discussion in 'Engine' started by allias, Aug 15, 2010.

1. allias

allias Active Member

Car:
    00' W210 Est 320CDI
    Well I have a problem with one of my Mercs. Its a 2002 320CDI with 4 spd auto gearbox and it has problems shifting from D to R. That faults is intermittent. Sometimes after long drive I have some luck to get it shifted.

On other hand it drive and shift,downshift gear without any problems. Seems as gearbox works without any faults. I had it scaned once (non-Star scanner) and it didnt bring any faults to gearbox.

Once lucky enough to shift it from N to R it goes to P and from P to any other without any problems. Is it entire selector or is it something simple?

2. OP
    OP
    allias

allias Active Member

Car:
    00' W210 Est 320CDI
    Just realized my mistake. The problem is not with shifting from D to R (because you have to go thru N first :) ) but problem is with going from N to R. And yes.... Its when its STOPPED :D

3. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    It's 5 speed BTW.

When you say difficult to shift do you mean that you go into neutral and then are looking to go into R and it just will not go, as if something is blocking it?

4. OP
    OP
    allias

allias Active Member

Car:
    00' W210 Est 320CDI
    Thats exacly what I mean :p It just feels as something is blocking it to go pass N. Almost like a wall :D. Strange enought sometimes it works without any problems and shift smooth.

Are you sure its 5spd? I have to chack that again. :?

5. jimti

jimti Active Member

Car:
    VW Golf
    just a wild guess, could it be a senser. it is acting like you haven't put your foot on the brake when you change gear!

6. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    Yes it's D4321.

I suspect the problem is in the selector mechanism not the box. A good indie should be able to sort it out reasonably. There is a selector bush below the floor which can wear.

7. OP
    OP
    allias

allias Active Member

Car:
    00' W210 Est 320CDI
    Ive been told its a possible selector but that goes for ~£450 so I want to eliminate others before that. Does it require programing or is it straight swap?

On other hand - where is that bush? What it does? How does it effect shifting?

jimti - what sensor? Brake sensor? I thought this one doesnt come with one and there is only travel sensor by brake servo?? :?

8. jimti

jimti Active Member

Car:
    VW Golf
    as I said. Only a guess. I presume there is some sensor to let it know you have the break on so it allows you to select a gear, I could be wrong though!

9. OP
    OP
    allias

allias Active Member

Car:
    00' W210 Est 320CDI
    I will check that tommorow.

Any other idea?

10. jimti

jimti Active Member

Car:
    VW Golf
    That of course should have said Brake. :eek: :doh:

11. OP
    OP
    allias

allias Active Member

Car:
    00' W210 Est 320CDI
    Strange thing is that if I pump brakes 5-8 times it goes better. I really need to check for that senor.