S210 rear disc removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welland99

Car
W210 E280 estate 1999 facelift; 6th gen honda accord coupe 2000
Hi guys, looking for a few words of advice on removing a rear brake disc on my S210.

I got the pads and calliper off no trouble at all. But the disc was stuck. I knocked with a hammer at the side where the calliper fits, but it didn't move at all.

Is it possible that the parking brake shoes are stuck on a lip inside? The parking brake is off and the disc rotates freely. Should I be able to remove the disc without adjusting the parking brake?

I have read that there are two different types of adjuster on the parking brake:
1) some have a knurled wheel inside the drum, turned by poking a screwdriver through a wheel bolt hole.
2) some have a screw on the backplate, visible from the back of the hub.

I could see neither of these adjusters.

Any advice gratefully received.

You have to fully let the shoes off via the knurled wheel. It is there, but it's not easy to see. Use a torch. It's not directly lined up with the hole in the hub. Also, it will be dirty and thus harder to see.

When you have done that it will still be stuck. Bang it with a heavy hammer whilst turning the disc.

When I changed the rear discs on my 210, the discs were well and truly stuck to the hub. If you've removed the one securing screw, then take a long piece of 2 x 4 timber and hit the disc from the rear, by using the timber and a club hammer from the other side of the car. Once the disc has broken free of the hub, it'll either come off easily, or you'll have to back the adjusters off a bit more.

Back the adjuster off as far as it will go. It's at the bottom of the hub assembly so look through a bolt hole at the bottom. You can get a medium flat blade screw driver on it and just turn it one notch at a time. It doesn't take much to unwind it all the way.
Before you start smashing the hell out of your disc, put 2 or 3 wheel bolts in a few turns. This will prevent you from firing the disc across your garage/drive/road/verge when it does come free. As had been said, turn it as you go. Couple of hits, turn, couple of hits, turn.

Back the adjuster off as far as it will go. It's at the bottom of the hub assembly so look through a bolt hole at the bottom. You can get a medium flat blade screw driver on it and just turn it one notch at a time. It doesn't take much to unwind it all the way.
Before you start smashing the hell out of your disc, put 2 or 3 wheel bolts in a few turns. This will prevent you from firing the disc across your garage/drive/road/verge when it does come free. As had been said, turn it as you go. Couple of hits, turn, couple of hits, turn.

Thanks for the advice. I'll have another look. I did look carefully through the bolt holes with a torch whilst turning the disc, but I must have missed it.

Hmmmm. You say that the adjuster is at the bottom of the hub, but in the pic above, it's near the top. I wonder if there are two different types?

Is the disc loose or still stuck fast? If loose then yes the brake shoes are catching - if tight then hit the face of the disc hub with a BFH (hammer) preferably a copper one and it will loosen. Hitting the disc from behind is ineffective and could damage the wheel bearing. When re installing put copper grease between the disc hub and the axle hub faces.

The application of heat on the disc hub can also assit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I'll have another look. I did look carefully through the bolt holes with a torch whilst turning the disc, but I must have missed it.

Hmmmm. You say that the adjuster is at the bottom of the hub, but in the pic above, it's near the top. I wonder if there are two different types?

I think it's at the top.

Having another go today.

I think my memory is playing tricks on me. I think it may be at the top... I don't know...:crazy:

Found it now at the tenth attempt. At the top left for right rear. Haven't adjusted parking brake yet as disk still stuck solid to hub.

Been tapping at the back rim of the disk while turning. Made no difference really. Also banged on the front face as suggested above, but no joy.

Anyway, managed to Clean the rear face with emery cloth and don't think it's too bad now.

Hope I haven't messed up the wheel bearing with the banging - there is now noticeable sound when turning the disc, cant remember if it did this before. Hopefully not too serious.

The new pads have a sort of rubber ring stuck to the back. Not seen this before. Are the stainless steel shims not needed now? Not sure if they would fit anyway - pistons are all the way in and pads are a very close fit.

Stainless steel shims did fit in the end. Had mot today and brake efficiency and wheel bearings are fine. ☺ phew. Will forget about the stuck discs for now.

Unfortunately, brake pipes are corroded and need replacing (details in another thread).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom