S210 Startup roar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4 Strings

Car
S211 E280
Hi all, newbie here. Had a number of C Class estates, for even more space I now have an old E Class.

Not 'interesting old', it's a 2000 model E240 (2.4 engine) in pretty good shape, bought it with 98,000 miles and full MB service history. Pretty gutless, tbh, and around 30mpg, but very comfortable and with barge like capacity in the back.

When it starts from cold, with no foot on the accelerator, the engine roars into life before settling to a very high tick-over. The other cars I've had also have a fast tick-over when cold to get things warm asap, but this is a roar. I rather cringe at the thought of all those rubbing surfaces, with cold clearances and little oil, bursting into such aggressive action.

Is there any way of taming this initial roar?

Last edited:
No journeys today but had to move the car a couple of times, each time a great roar when it starts, surely it's not good for it?

Any ideas anyone?

Is the roar the viscous coupling fan, I've just had mine replaced and it is really noticeable on start up

BTW...your E240 has a 2.6 l engine. The roar is a feature of the M112 and M113 engines...nothing to worry about.

Not familiar with the V6s but assuming(?) they have an exhaust air pump (for cat warm up time/emissions) that could be contributing to noisy cold starts too... less of a 'roar' than a locked up viscous fan as they add a mix of mechanical and induction noise when they run for a few minutes after a cold start

Thanks, all, for the replies.
It's not so much that it's noisy, just the very high revs upon startup. Doesn't last more than 30 secs (unless I've put it in gear to calm things down), but will all the oil drained to the bottom and with cold clearances the initial belt makes me cringe each time.

There's no adjustment or anything to avoid it going so mad upon cold starts?

(The engine is 112.911 - I understood that was 2.4l whereas the 112.912 was the 2.6l?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom