S211 2007. Knocking racket!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JamDebs

Car
E320 CD1 Estate
Chaps. I'm at a loss as to where an almost continual knocking noise from my car is coming from. At first it was suggested that the noise was coming from the offside ball joint that showed signs of wear. It was changed. Noise still there. The noise happens when on uneven roads and minor bumps. At first the indi that I used changed a transmission and an engine mount that were worn. I drove off hoping that I would not hear the awful knocking sound. Gutted when it was still there. Took it to the indi again. They've driven it and can hear the noise but are still at a loss. The sway bar bushes have been changed. The knocking racket is still there. The boys at the indi I've used have actually not charged me for some of the work done as they really want to resolve the problem as its just as annoying for them. To clarify. The knocking noise is from the offside at the front of the car. It's almost continuous when on normal roads and going over the smallest of bumps. Any advice or ideas would be most

Get a shop to install some "chassis ears" kit and go drive it listenening for the source of the racket.
That's what we do in our shop.
Shame you are not in Radiator Springs ,we would check it with discount--more if you are an ex veteran.
Putting Lightening McQueen on it .
Tuercas Viejas

Last edited:
Check the brake disc backing plate. You can feel if it has broken loose from its rivets by just getting down and feeling it with your hand without taking the wheel off.

No professional shop should be without a set of these "chassis ears"
Now in fancy schmancy wireless versions as well.

They even have them at my sub shop in Radiator Springs Podunck Town, USA, for working on Model T's
Tuercas viejas

I also have a persistent knock on the OSF of my S211. Only heard at slow speeds on rough/bumpy roads. Lots of reading suggests accurately tracing the fault is hard on these 211s, and that echoes with me - I have tried all sorts of prying effort, with weight on a off the suspension, and I cannot get anything to display wear.

In my summation of all my research, the most likely for my car is 1) anti-roll bar drop link, 2) shock absorber itself 3) strut top mount.

My plan, though I am in no rush to do so, is to undo and remove the OSF anti-roll bar drop link and drive the car temporarily with it removed to see if that fixes the noise. If so, voila, drop link was the cause.

Hope this helps,

Martin.

I also have a persistent knock on the OSF of my S211. Only heard at slow speeds on rough/bumpy roads. Lots of reading suggests accurately tracing the fault is hard on these 211s, and that echoes with me - I have tried all sorts of prying effort, with weight on a off the suspension, and I cannot get anything to display wear.

In my summation of all my research, the most likely for my car is 1) anti-roll bar drop link, 2) shock absorber itself 3) strut top mount.

My plan, though I am in no rush to do so, is to undo and remove the OSF anti-roll bar drop link and drive the car temporarily with it removed to see if that fixes the noise. If so, voila, drop link was the cause.

Hope this helps,

Martin.
Cheers. Much appreciated. I'll run it past my indi.

Had a similar issue with an e30 3 series BMW in the past. Driven crazy by the clicking/knocking noise. Various trips to dealers with no success. Told everything was fine. Turned out it was the antiroll bar drop links. Certainly worth checking out but just bear in mind they may well look fine even when they are the cause of the problem.

Had a similar issue with an e30 3 series BMW in the past. Driven crazy by the clicking/knocking noise. Various trips to dealers with no success. Told everything was fine. Turned out it was the antiroll bar drop links. Certainly worth checking out but just bear in mind they may well look fine even when they are the cause of the problem.
Cheers mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom