S211 270cdi Vs 320cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

350cls

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55k AMG Sold / S211 E320 CDI I6 W212 E63 6.2 N/A saloon.
I'm looking to buy an S211 with 7 seats. As I want to store my E63 6.2 over the winter months.

Some may know, myself and my dad share a S211 E320cdi, 80% him 20%me. I'm looking to get my own S211 but with preferably the 7seat option. Just a few things I'd like to know before I actually pull the plug.

Is there a noticeable difference in the power the both engines produce. And can the 2 most rear back seats be individually set up for an occupant or do the both seats need to be lifted or dropped as a whole unit?

My budget is about 3k tops.

Anything to look out for on the e270 like wise on the E320 CDI. Do you think 3k is a fair budget to go on.
Thanks

Tom

Pre-facelift only? So you are talking about OM647 vs. OM648.

My own feeling is difference between 200CDI and 270CDI is clearly bigger than between 270CDI and 320CDI, but you can tell it with bigger lumps too. Fuel consumption is bit higher when one more cylinder comes in the playground.

OM648 what a cracking engine. Id have another tomorrow

My s211 7 seat e320 cdi was the best car i've ever had.

275hp, Mapped and other tweaks ;) upto 58mpg was so relaxing to drive, Austria to hoek holland 9hrs 27mins 660 miles without a need to stop for fuel

What year is 211 you share? Early 270/320 cdi cars have basically the same engine just 5 vs 6 cylinder engines. They have some common issues to watch out for but are very reliable in general. 06+ changed to the v6 unit, smoother engine, pros and cons to both. All the diesels can handle big mileage ok.

What year is 211 you share? Early 270/320 cdi cars have basically the same engine just 5 vs 6 cylinder engines. They have some common issues to watch out for but are very reliable in general. 06+ changed to the v6 unit, smoother engine, pros and cons to both. All the diesels can handle big mileage ok.

It's a 2004 E320cdi. The car I was looking at is a 2006 E270cdi. Im not particularly fussed about mpg, but would preferably like the power to mpg ratio in favour. Some say the delivery of the V6 is smoother than that of the V5 but I've not experienced either only our lL6. I'm looking at 2005 and after does that rule out the lL6?

Thanks

I thought 05 was the last of the 270. In my opinion the 5 cylinder is a sweet spot of power/mpg but for the few mpg I would take a 320 instead. Everyone does say the V6 is smoother but I found it a bit lazier to get going.

We have owned the early S211 since February 2004. My wife absolutely loves the car. The engine and I am touching wood as I type but the engine has NEVER had any problems or issues. It is as smooth as silk and whilst some folk prefer the V6, just remember that Mercedes have gone back to the straight six.

Bottom line however is to test drive a few cars and see what one YOU like. I am not a fan of the 5 cylinder engine but that is my very own personal observation. The engine is nice but not as smooth as the 6 cylinder version plus it lacks that 'get up and go' power of its bigger brother.

Cannot comment on the 7 seat option as we have never had one.

I echo that glojo, my findings also. And for me the 7 seat was very handy.

WOW... One of the last I6

No COMAND and looking at that rear roller. It is black and yes, I dislike black interiors but that roller should be the same colour as the light grey interior. Only a minor thing but it is out of place and why? Some of the other examples posted just after this one are perhaps better examples. We did not like the Avantgarde harder type suspension, but we loved the looks of that model compared to the Elegance. If I were you I would make sure I am happy with the firmer ride or go for one with full air suspension, or like we did... There will be Avantgardes out there with Comfort suspension :)

All 270CDI and inline 320CDI has SBC... it was discontinued in facelift, and there only option is V6 280/320 CDI

Again, my opinion only but 270CDI has best MPG/power (drive feeling) ratio. V6 is slightly thirstier than inline cousin especially in cornering driveing...

All the info and advice is appreciated thanks gents.

Did the DPF come in on a models 2005 onwards. Can this be an issue also?

My dad's car will call it the e320cdi has self leveling rear suspension. It's an advantgarde. And the suspension is a really nice ride.

Are the Elegance even more softer than that of the advantgarde. If the car has comfort suspension will it have an option to change the suspension firmness with a button?

I

My cdi was a avantgarde ride was fine one of the most comfortable cars I’ve had especially with nappa leather. Sbc saved me and my family , tbh I love the system well worth the upkeep imho

It seems I shouldn't discount the e280 either.

SBC at its best lol

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom