S211 3k/3.5k budget?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

350cls

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55k AMG Sold / S211 E320 CDI I6 W212 E63 6.2 N/A saloon.
Could I pick up a decent S211 on a budget of £3,000.00 to 3,500. I be totally honest I don't really look into cars or have an interest in them until I own or really fancy owning one in particular. I will need a work horse doing fair amount of miles each day then not so much but there at hand if needed. To share with my dad. I'm thinking of a S211 diesel. A few questions to ask. Do any come with rear air suspension do any come with air suspension? What is the better overall engine to go with ? Should high mileage put me off? Will I get a decent one for my budget or am I being darft?

Thanks
Tom

Forgot to add things to look out for when looking at a car within my budget.

Thanks

You can get one in your budget, a E320 CDI would be the pick. Most will have done highish miles but the IL6 on pre-facelift cars is a good engine with a good mix of power and economy. I think they came with auto-levelling rear suspension (well the W210 definitely did), not sure about air suspension even as an option.

Main points to look out for are valeo radiator issues, SBC pumps reaching their limits and injector seals leaking (easy cheap fix).

I think they came with auto-levelling rear suspension

Yeah all estates have it.

Full airmatic was an option.

I’d also recommend the IL6 320cdi

Cheers fellas. Auto levelling being very comfortable I presume. Everything pre-facelift being 07 down is that correct. Don't want any stiff harsh rides. The valeo radiator being the issue with transmission contamination I take it. Wasn't that sorted via late 04 build ? Also what gearbox are in most is it the 7g tronic ? Most seem to come with the 7 seat option not a must but does this affect rear boot well options I;e spare wheel and such ? Do any have distronic? Any gearbox issues to be aware of ?

Appreciate your info guy's thanks.

Cheers fellas. Auto levelling being very comfortable I presume. Everything pre-facelift being 07 down is that correct. Don't want any stiff harsh rides. The valeo radiator being the issue with transmission contamination I take it. Wasn't that sorted via late 04 build ? Also what gearbox are in most is it the 7g tronic ? Most seem to come with the 7 seat option not a must but does this affect rear boot well options I;e spare wheel and such ? Do any have distronic? Any gearbox issues to be aware of ?

Appreciate your info guy's thanks.

Autolevelling doesn’t affect the comfort pal, they still have normal shocks all around. Unless you go for one with airmatic all around.

If you want go for Elegance with the smaller wheels. If you want Better looks/handling go for the avantgarde with the sports shocks and bigger wheels, it also has LED rear lights.

The valeo issue shouldn’t be an issue on a 2004+ Car IIRC.

I only paid around that for my 210 E55 so can't see any problem getting a S211 for that money but the trouble with buying cheap cars that used to be expensive is the running costs, if you are tight for money will you be able to keep on top of the running repairs it WILL need? What about service costs? Some parts are very expensive on older Mercs, (not all but some) are you going to be happy searching for second hand or pattern parts? For example a main dealer price for the self levelling rear suspension rebuild on mine was just under four grand in 2015 although I dare say you could half that using an independent if you can't do it yourself. :)

Autolevelling doesn’t affect the comfort pal, they still have normal shocks all around. Unless you go for one with airmatic all around.

If you want go for Elegance with the smaller wheels. If you want Better looks/handling go for the avantgarde with the sports shocks and bigger wheels, it also has LED rear lights.

The valeo issue shouldn’t be an issue on a 2004+ Car IIRC.

Airmatic it will need to have then fella can't be having no bone crushing ride. Must keep an eye out for this on the add. O4 as you say late 04 should avoid any valeo issue. Might be a case to road test a couple also as to what suspension feels right for me personally.

Airmatic sounds an expensive option can't see me picking up one within my budget!! I don't intend to travel to far to pick up one either I must say 50 miles is about as far as I'm prepared to go.

I only paid around that for my 210 E55 so can't see any problem getting a S211 for that money but the trouble with buying cheap cars that used to be expensive is the running costs, if you are tight for money will you be able to keep on top of the running repairs it WILL need? What about service costs? Some parts are very expensive on older Mercs, (not all but some) are you going to be happy searching for second hand or pattern parts? For example a main dealer price for the self levelling rear suspension rebuild on mine was just under four grand in 2015 although I dare say you could half that using an independent if you can't do it yourself. :)

Lovely car you have there a decent price you paid for it by the sounds. I have a repair / service fund at hand were there to be any major flaws .I do understand the car will be 13/14 year old car in not going to be perfect by any stretch.

Most gearboxes on the eclass of this age perform mighty by the sounds of things. This and engine are my main concerns. Little gadgets and so on are not priority. A solid workhorse is what's required. Owned many e39 estates over the years they are solid as a rock. Similar required with the s211.

Any owners looking to sell a well maintained eclass s211 that shifts spot on and in good working order please get in touch. Within a 50 mile radius of London /Essex.

Cheers Tom.

The facelift was mid 2006 so probably 56 plate onwards. Te pre-facelift all had the 5g gearbox which is a solid 'box.

My avantgarde was still very comfortable. I would drive one and see

When looking for a S211, be aware that most vehicles registered after March 2006 will have a VED tax hike of £200.00 ( £315.00 to £540.00 ). Which if money is an important issue to you, might be relevant.
Do not be put off with vehicles with a high mileage, many of these will have just been motorway mile munchers. The important issue is a good service history with plenty of oil changes to show that the vehicle has been looked after. The In Line 6 's also tend to have a marginally better fuel consumption on long runs, than the V6 engines and you should expect between 45 to 50 mpg.
I like my Airmatic suspension, it is a very comfortable ride, and it was an expensive option at the time over the standard suspension. Many will whinge about the cost of maintaining Airmatic, ( and often they do not even own a car with Airmatic ! ) but then they forget that the standard rear self levelling suspension is also expensive to replace when necessary.
Any S211 will have SBC Brakes, a really excellent braking system. These cars are now no longer the money pit they were, if you need to replace the pump. Just look at the service history to see if the pump has been replaced and budget accordingly.
Just have a look at the cars for sale on Ebay and you will see the various options available on these cars. COMAND, Tiptronic, Climate Control, Heated seats, Ventilated seats, the list goes on and on, often the better the spec, the more desirable.
I hope you can find yourself something suitable, but be prepared to travel for the one that takes your fancy, the ideal choice always seems to be miles away.

Steve.

I managed to pic mine up for £2k with airmatic suspension 320cdi. Ok body is a tad rough but nothing serious a few scratches on bumpers from the faulty parking sensors I will fix these issues one day. It has blue leather which put people off but I don't mind it. Good history with it but no idea on sbs. It does everything I want and more and I love the power, I had a 220 saloon before and this is a different animal.

Thanks guys great advice you have given me there. Had an awful day you don't want to know. Van trouble oh well got to get van looked at now asap bad vibration no so much through the steering but the body it's a transit custom van. Thinking wheel bearing or the balance weights might have come off. All tyres in good condition no obvious signs. Suspension possible related ???? Had the pull in twice on the m25 to check it out.

Thanks for the advice on the s211 quest.

Still very very interested in the s211. Haven't had time this week to look at any but hope to maybe at the weekend and next week.

Tom

Van sorted was a perforated tyre was pitch black once got home that evening. All sorted anyways. :thumb:

Tom

Just curious is the elegance more cushioned ride quality than the advantgard models? Can anyone give there thoughts on the both models?

Cheers Tom

Just curious is the elegance more cushioned ride quality than the advantgard models? Can anyone give there thoughts on the both models?

Cheers Tom

Yeah elegance has better ride, as it has regular suspension and smaller wheels.

Avantgarde has bigger wheels and sports suspension, hence a harder ride.

I have an avantgarde, I prefer it as it looks better and also avantgarde comes with led rear lights and blue glass. Also avantgarde has a nicer grill and xenons. It’s very comfortable too, even with sports suspension.

View media item 7907View media item 7906View media item 7905

That is stunning clk320x. That really is a stunning looking motor. I haven't had time to look at any just now been very busy on the work front. Next few days not so good with weather and that doesn't suit my job so I may get to look at a couple. Ones in stains £3,500 I think it is silver 140,000 miles 4 owners I think the guy said I messaged him. The other in chelmsford but it's black I already have black saloon so not over keen on black again. Both advantgard also. £2,500. I think. Same 4 owners. Would that amount of owners put buyers off ?

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom