S211 airmatic headlight level issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JWood3

Car
2003 E320cdi
Hi all, looking for some help with my xenon headlights not levelling.
Both lights start up in their lowest position which is pretty useless.
I have a version of star and can see current and stored errors for 9002/9003 which are the modules on the lights themselves. I can also see data from the level sensors and perform the zero position adjustment. The lights can be commanded to low/mid/high positions so the motors and modules must be working to a point.
Has anyone had any experience with this before? There isn’t much on the web for a solution I don’t want to start throwing parts at it if it is just a comms. issue.

Thanks, James.

Headlamps pointing low is usually a broken level sensor, a snapped rod? That said any error in the levelling system will force the lights low, so as not to dazzle others.
Doesn't STAR give step by step diagnosis and fault correction?

Headlamps pointing low is usually a broken level sensor, a snapped rod? That said any error in the levelling system will force the lights low, so as not to dazzle others.
Doesn't STAR give step by step diagnosis and fault correction?
Today I checked the front sensor and it seems to report accurate data. I haven’t looked at the rear, but it has data and it changes with height.

Star is pretty vague as the tests are to check power to the modules and resistance of CAN lines. It does work when commanded but has the module errors. I have seen people mentioning a master/slave setup for the lights, but nothing on star about that.

Hi
If you have STAR then you should be able to see the output of the level sensors, but it almost certainly the connecting rods from the suspension to the level sensors, the rods seize up and snap.

My W211 failed an MOT for the lights aiming too low.
Both front and rear sensor rods were intact.

I had an indy reset the headlamp aim with Star.

To close this thread off as there is nothing worse than searching for a problem and not getting closure….

As I mentioned I had no comms with the hra system for both lights. I could actuate the right one with star but would get an error after about 3 movements. I ordered a used hra module and swapped it with no difference. For those searching it is located under the seat and carpet on the drivers side (right).

I then replaced the aftermarket depo light on the left with a used oem Hella and it would be actuated but still a comms error. I noted that if I unplugged the levelling motor on the right then the error cleared on the left. I then swapped the levelling module on the base of the right headlight with no change.

The final fix was to also fit a used Hella on the right side. Bingo! All works.
I can only surmise that the cheap Depo lights can never work with the levelling systems of an S211. Stay away from these crappy headlights and all will be well. They also have a very different lens and beam pattern and lack the adjuster for European driving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom