S211 auto box behaviour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

plastic

Car
2009 S211 220 CDI
Hi all

I recently bought a 2009 S211 with 80k on the clock full MBSH and ATF done at 37k. It has the 5 speed auto, which leads me onto my question.

When at low speeds, i.e. < 15mph, when taking your foot off the accelerator, should the revs drop back to almost idle (<1k)? Equivalent behaviour in a manual, for example, is if you are in 2nd, take foot off accelerator and dip the clutch at the same time.

The revs on my car will not drop, however will remain at wherever they were, slowly falling as the car slows down, I assume meaning the gear remains engaged.

This has the rather unpleasant sensation of 'jolting' the the car as you press/release the accelerator while moving along at a very slow speed, stuck in traffic.

My previous car was a W210 270 CDI and when stuck in traffic it would always drop back to idle, giving a much smoother engage/disengage when shuffling along.

Other than this, the gearbox seems to behave as expected - shifts are smooth, kickdown seems to work when required.

Is this normal behaviour or signs of something wrong?

I found this happens sometimes depending on how the cars been driven previously.

Do a reset on the transmission see if it behaves better.

Cheers, I assume I'll need someone with a STAR to do this?
Is it worth getting the ATF changed again? Like I said, it was done at 37.5k, now just over 80k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom