S211 centre console button trim has come loose

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeInWimbledon

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
(Ex S211 E500, W212 E500, C216, S212 E500, W211 E500 5.5, W221 S500, S211 E500, SL500, S500, E55)
This little bit of "wood" trim has come loose - for no obvious reason, and I can't see how to reattach it.

Anyone know what needs doing? Have I lost a bit of plastic for it to click into?

IMG_6240.jpg

Just to clarify - I have the piece of trim that has come off....

IMG_6242.jpg

There are 3 hook parts that are most likely broken.

Either purchase a new part from MB (not sure whether this can be ordered separately). Or source a used one from eBay.

I have the same broken part in my car.

Hi,
Strangely enough, this same part is broken on mine. Previous owner had used double sided tape, but I just am too lazy to bother re affixing it properly.

Steve.

The piece of trim does have three hooks underneath it, that fit into those three "plug holes."

Nothing seems broken. I'll post a photo of the underside tomorrow.

The piece of trim does have three hooks underneath it, that fit into those three "plug holes."

Nothing seems broken. I'll post a photo of the underside tomorrow.

The 3 hooks are made of plastic and they fail where the hooks lose their elasticity so they no longer firmly grip - in some cases hook(s) may break away completely.

A piece of decent double sided tape is the cheapest solution as from what I have heard is that they are expensive for what they are from the dealership. I once tried getting a set from the breakers but the hooks failed upon removal. I guess the hooks take the brunt of the forces applied every time the compartment is opened.

Glue it back on. I had this on one car and it was still firmly attached later after four years of family use. Unlike the original fixings from factory which break anyway ;)

A new piece of trim will be expensive and probably not match the original faded wood on the other side.

You’ve not really anything to lose, give it a go :cool:

I ended up super-gluing mine back on. Whatever fix I tried it aways worked loose.

I think I used a hot glue gun at the time, but can’t remember as it never came off again :D

It needs to be a bit tougher and tackier than superglue, I think it’s too thin and won’t have the elasticity to prevent it coming away.

I used superglue. It would occasionally come adrift again so I'd just re-glue it.

Thanks for the advice, folks. Yes, it was probably summer heat that caused it.

It was very simple to superglue it back on.

Problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom