s211 dipped beam gone very low

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dazzler

Car
W211 Estate 320CDI, E55 AMG 54 plate.
I've noticed tonight my normal headlights are shining barely 6 ft in front of my car. They light up nothing of the road in front. In fact the fog lights shine further? ??
No malfunction message.
I'm guessing a level sensor has failed somewhere? ??
Thought that would bring up a message tho as it has on previous cars.
This might be totally random coincidence but I've had a new screen fitted? ???
The car is a 2005 s211 avantgarde.

Had recent issue with mine when i changed the headlight, There is a earth for the level motor that's attached to the metal band around the inside of the head light where the Xenon bulb is fitted, maybe worth checking to see if this is attached as it didnt bring any malfunction up on my dash either.

There is also a sensor under the front wheel arch, its by the upper wishbone and has a little arm thats attached to a small ball joint this moves with the arm and adjusts the height of the beam.

Just a couple of things that may be worth checking?

Had recent issue with mine when i changed the headlight, There is a earth for the level motor that's attached to the metal band around the inside of the head light where the Xenon bulb is fitted, maybe worth checking to see if this is attached as it didnt bring any malfunction up on my dash either.

There is also a sensor under the front wheel arch, its by the upper wishbone and has a little arm thats attached to a small ball joint this moves with the arm and adjusts the height of the beam.

Just a couple of things that may be worth checking?

Many thanks for that.
It was normal this morning so I'm guessing a module of some sort is starting to play up? ? :-(

There's a level sensor on the rear axle too I think. I think both have to 'agree'.

I've had this happen in the other direction, upwards, so I was getting flashed by people thinking I've got my main beam on, and there was nothing I could do about it. It fixed itself though.

I'm guessing that you have Xenon headlights ? if you dont then there wont be any "automatic" leveling, instead you will have a rotary switch next to the headlight switch which uses Vacuum to adjust the headlights, and if these loose the vacuum they will cause the headlights to drop to the lowest point (i.e lighting up about 6ft in front of the car) you can either find the fault or adjust the headlights manually and forget about it

My 2008 w211 had the same, turned out some kind soul had hit the front offside corner at some point (only evidence was v small scuff mark) but this was enough to break a plate mounting under the headlight, if you have bi xenon and they still do their motor action when turned on my money would be on a mounting plate....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom