S211 E Class Factory Fit Tow Bar - is it detachable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGreedy

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 CDI
Hi all,

Just wondering if the factory fit tow bar is detachable? 2008 E Class estate.

I'm looking at options shown up on the data card. This one is:

550 - trailer coupling

Is this a tow bar, and is it detachable?

Thanks

In the price list brochure, code 550 is an option shown as 'Tow bar, manually folding'. Plus in the accessories brochure there is also a 'Fold-away tow bar with electrical set' shown as a dealer fit accessory. So in either case, it looks like it should, at the very least, fold away. However I don't know if 'fold away' means the hook can be removed completely as opposed to swung back underneath the car.
Cheers.

Thanks 24 VRT

It sounds that by some mechanism as yet unclear, at least the thing can be banished from sight, which is basically what I'm looking for.

Try looking in the hide-away compartment in the rear nearside - if it's like my S204 there's a wheel thing that releases the tow hook when you turn it, you then pull the hook down and round into the towing position and turn the wheel back to lock it in place. Obviously when you want the hook out of the way you reverse the procedure!

The FF tow bar is not detachable - instead it swings to one side and then swivels up behind the rear bumper. The tow bar has an integrated 13 pin socket on the side. The tow bar is released by a lever on the left side of the spare wheel well. It is a very neat design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom