S211 E500 brake upgrade?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bolidemichael

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S211 E500
I have never been 100% satisfied with the uniformity of the brake performance, under load, when coming to a halt. The brakes, for example, don't seem to have the tanker-stopping performance of my SEC, but with a linear braking performance. Perhaps when the brake pads are newer, but I don't feel as though that performance is maintained adequately as the pads diminish.

I use an OEM set up; I did try using Brembo pads once, but they created heat spots after a handful of miles and warped the discs, requiring a replacement in Barcelona!

Can I upgrade the calipers, discs and pads to AMG spec, assuming that this is different to mine? Insights and thoughts appreciated. If I did do it, I would ask my indy as I do not have the prowess to undertake such as task myself.

You can fit the E55 set up easily. The callipers are huge and the brakes are great. If you buy second hand I do recommend that you have them re-built as the pistons have a tendency to stick. I had all 4 of mine done at a cost of £900 inc paint.

You can fit the E55 set up easily. The callipers are huge and the brakes are great. If you buy second hand I do recommend that you have them re-built as the pistons have a tendency to stick. I had all 4 of mine done at a cost of £900 inc paint.

Thanks for the informative response! Do you estimate that the cost for new items would be fairly gargantuan, then?

Also, assuming that I'm going to replace the discs and pads soon, which I am - they weren't available at the recent service due to corona-related limits on the supply chain, it is only the calipers that need to be replace or more components?

Perhaps I could have your VIN in order to look it up on XENTRY?

I don't think you will have issues with fitment. Use the Brembo discs from ECP and genuine brake pads. Don't forget the E55 callipers have TWO sets of pads per side all in one box. Get new springs and pins too for the calliper. All available from your local main dealer. On my youtube channel you will find a vid of cleaning the hubs up properly. So many causes of warped discs are corroded hubs. It won't be cheap TBH. Callipers, a re-furb and new discs and pads are going to be about £1500-£2000. If you can justify that then go ahead. My vin is WDB2110762A201748

Why Brembo over OEM?

I suppose you have to weigh up the cost of the conversion against the value of the car.

The value of the car doesn't come into my maintenance attitude, I'm afraid. It's only worth £3k!

It's an incredible vehicle for my requirements and it keeps us safe whilst travelling across UK and Europe with power and comfort.

I bought new brake parts when I did the E55.

Front Calipers OEM (Brembo)- £760
Front Pads EBC Red - £126
Front Discs Brembo - £133
Front Back Paltes OEM - £83

Plus wear sensors, bolts and new hoses etc.

So other than humouring me, are you guys of the opinion that this would be a worthwhile upgrade in order to resolve the issues that I have described?

FYI, I do exploit the forward momentum of the E500 on most distance journeys, fully loaded or not.

I'm not, if you fancy it go for it, why not.

Would cost you £1,100 (if you need backplates) plus some change to do it new so you can maybe do it for 1/3 to half that second hand then it is up to you.

^ That would be for a pair. I was quoted around £400 for an o/s/f caliper when it looked like I might need one at MBS during a brake disc change.

^ That would be for a pair. I was quoted around £400 for an o/s/f caliper when it looked like I might need one at MBS during a brake disc change.

Thanks Rog - I’ll be honest I was expecting them to cost a lot more brand new!

So id I, factored the recon. cost (new seals etc.) and thought they were a good price.

So id I, factored the recon. cost (new seals etc.) and thought they were a good price.
Completely agree - and a perfect paint finish :)

This is looking pretty feasible. Are they compatible with the OEM 17" alloys, offset and all?

This is looking pretty feasible. Are they compatible with the OEM 17" alloys, offset and all?
Doubt they’d clear 17s to be honest - but I may be wrong.

Good chance to get some nice 18 inch alloys ;)

Doubt they’d clear 17s to be honest - but I may be wrong.

Good chance to get some nice 18 inch alloys ;)

They look great, but the car is perfect on 17s, I wouldn't want to compromise the ride; additionally, the 18s are prone to cracking on these estates.

They look great, but the car is perfect on 17s, I wouldn't want to compromise the ride; additionally, the 18s are prone to cracking on these estates.

Can't you just take it a bit easier with the right/left foot then if it is perfect?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom