S211 e55 and Towing??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
LOL I wonder if anyone has ever actually been prosecuted for having a towbar on a non type-approved car? Might get picked up if they were giving it a good going over for something else I guess.
He said
Absolutely, I reckon you'd have to be picked up by VOSA or well inform traffic police to actually have a problem.
It is certainly taken more seriously in NL and Germany. A Dutch friend is very careful not to go over the plated limit on his car, and spent a small fortune on a very light car transporter trailer for that very reason. He said he'd lose his trailer licence and collect a large fine if stopped or caused an incident. He was not impressed whenever I blasely attached random towing apparatus to the e55.

I have no intention of towing, but cleaning my car yesterday I noticed on the VIN line 2 shows 3245 for max vehicle train weight, showing that the vehicle is approved to tow a 750kg trailer, no? This contradicts everything I've read online, is this another elaborate forum myth.....
I own a S211 E55 2003 and have no MVTW on my VIN plate inside the door?
can you post a photo with your VIN blurred?

Wow!
You own an extremely rare AMG!

Mercedes never homologated AMG E55K's for towing as it assumed its performance-orientated customers would not want to drag trailers or caravans around, it therefore decided to save the UK type approval cost's on many of its top sports models.

It was believed that a few E55K's may have slipped through the net and were homologated, this was a just a myth until I saw your VIN plate!

The first figure of 2495kg is the Gross Vehicle Weight or Maximum Allowable Mass including occupants, fuel and payload.
The next figure down 3245kg is the Gross Train Weight of the vehicle and trailer combined.
The final two loads are maximum front and rear axle loads respectively.

Your vehicle has been homologated to tow 2495-3245 =750kg (unbraked)

My Sept 2003 Obsidian Black S211 E55k has a blank space where your 3245kg is and therefore was not approved to tow anything.
Nevertheless, the S211 estate has an identical chassis to other S211's and because of better brakes and airmatic self-levelling suspension is actually a better tow vehicle than all other S211's.

I do not see why an owner cannot SVA any vehicle for towing?
I cannot find a law against this?

I will be personally fitting a S211 E500 Tow Trust Vertical Detachable Swan Neck Towbar this weekend (£259 Model TM875VK EBAY) in order to tow my classic ski boat to the beach.
The installation has a removable swan-neck and a swing-down electrical socket, the installation is invisible when removed and clears the E55k Rear Bumper without cutting any holes or clearance channels, it also looks very attractive and can tow 2460kg.

I will add photos of the towbar fitted next week on the E55K, folded away and ready-to-couple-up.

Many thanks.

No problem, that's why I was posting on this thread as I thought that's what it meant! that's interesting additional info thanks.

Unfortunately I 'did' own a rare AMG - it got written off by an Audi 2 months ago. I've not checked my S212 yet for towing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom