S211 e55 and Towing??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc85

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 500
can you or does any of you tow a caravan etc with a e55 ?? Can’t remember if I’d seen a thread saying you can’t with a AMG??

It depends on whether the car has EC approval for towing

Looking in the manual there is a - where the towing weight with trailer would be so I guess a e55 doesn't.
Would it be on the v5 anywhere out of interest?

Good excuse to get yourself an E320cdi s211 as well :)

Lol hadn’t thought of that , although it would mean a increase in budget and then there’s the additional parking space... humm

Not homologated for towing, I’m afraid, so you cannot legally tow with it.

Lol hadn’t thought of that , although it would mean a increase in budget and then there’s the additional parking space... humm

...and all that extra time to clean it :D

Afraid not Gav.
Stick a towbar on the missus car instead.
Problem solved;)

I’m tempted to sell mine mate, 260k miles but Ive spent £4500 on it changing literally everything. :D pm me if you want, don’t want much for it! :)

Drives great

If a car isn't approved, can't you propose a solution, take it to a vosa station and discuss approval
It's what Q cars / kit car owners have to do?

It can't be rocket science to get a tow bar to fit and the chassis itself is used for towing on other E class's......?

I have seen a Ferrari GTB towing a small caravan , and a 3 wheeled Bond bug - in orange, naturally - towing a big flat trailer.! Both on the M5 some years ago.

Homemade tow bars I guess. Not sure what insurers would make of it if the manufacturers say 'no towing' , I think the Ford KA fell into this bracket as do (by definition) any car with a central exhaust pipe, Honda Civic, some MINI, some Ford Fiesta......E type Jaaag, etc.

The EC type approval regs came in on 1st Aug 1998, so anything registered before than can tow legally (although you can be prosecuted if an outfit is considered dangerous/unroadworthy).

If a car isn't approved, can't you propose a solution, take it to a vosa station and discuss approval
It's what Q cars / kit car owners have to do?

It can't be rocket science to get a tow bar to fit and the chassis itself is used for towing on other E class's......?
I don’t think there’s any mechanical reason why an E55 couldn’t tow ; just that MB never bothered to certify it .
If you can take it to a testing station it might be possible to get single vehicle approval .
The cost is another question.

I don’t think there’s any mechanical reason why an E55 couldn’t tow ; just that MB never bothered to certify it .
If you can take it to a testing station it might be possible to get single vehicle approval .
The cost is another question.

Problem is that even if you got the car plated to tow legally (with a max. train weight) you'd still need a towbar that's EC type-approved for that model.

Problem is that even if you got the car plated to tow legally (with a max. train weight) you'd still need a towbar that's EC type-approved for that model.
I would imagine that in the event of the car being approved , given that it is still a S211 , then the S211 towbar would then become approved with it ( given that the car would have to be submitted for testing with it fitted ) .

I have seen a Ferrari GTB towing a small caravan , and a 3 wheeled Bond bug - in orange, naturally - towing a big flat trailer.! Both on the M5 some years ago.

Homemade tow bars I guess. Not sure what insurers would make of it if the manufacturers say 'no towing' , I think the Ford KA fell into this bracket as do (by definition) any car with a central exhaust pipe, Honda Civic, some MINI, some Ford Fiesta......E type Jaaag, etc.

Home made tow bars, central exhausts, I wonder if this guy got his insurers approval.
(If you don't want a headache, you may wish to turn the sound off :wallbash:)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It’s not an estate but still:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Old but gold :D
I wonder what the speed rating was on those trailer tyres ! ? A blowout on that trailer could have changed that film clip, and not in a good way. Fun Though !

So i found this, the e55 would need a Independent Vehicle Aproval, maybe free if you/i use a Model for example a e500 s211 to base it upon.

Vehicle approval

Vehicle approval test fees

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom