S211 foot brake cable snapped?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shacks

Car
2013 E350, 1984 Audi Quattro Turbo, Vauxhall Calibra
Today, when pressing down on the foot operated parking brake on my 2004 S211, there was a metallic noise, when I took my foot off the brake pedal it returned to its original position. I'm guessing that the cable has snapped but looking at Eurocarparts, they list a RH & LH cable. Now it is quite possible, although unlikely, that both cables snapped today but I am inclined to think that there is a single cable that operates these 2 cables. What I would like to know is what do you think is likely to have gone wrong and what sort of job it is to rectify it? Thanks for your time.

I think if a cable had broken the pedal would have gone all the way down, stayed down and would have had to be manually pulled back up.

Sounds more likely to be a faulty/broken rachet mechanism on the pedal, quite possibly the spring.

This is a diagram of a C Class, but I would think the S Class is very similar.

Thanks for that Mike and you are correct, the cables are OK. I found that item 50 was broken so I've replaced it along with a new pin (60) but it is still the same. When I press the foot pedal down, the brake is applied but as soon as I take my foot off the pedal it returns to its original position. I now realise that all 50 does is make the ratchet sound as you press the foot pedal down. I'm guessing that something has broken inside the foot pedal assembly itself and looking at it I will have to remove the whole unit which is going to be a bit of a job it seems. Before I start, is there anything else to check first? Thanks

I'm not really savvy on the mechanics of these parking brake mechanisms, but I think I would be inclined to check the operation of the release cable next, assuming you can see it without removing the pedal assembly.

Attached below are two links, the first is to do with replacing the ratchet, but there is a type of cross section drawing of the pedal, which shows the other parts by varying levels of shading.

Mercedes-Benz Forum - View Single Post - W203 C320 Parking brake problem

This link is for a pedal assembly on ebay, which may also help identify the different parts. (It looks to me as though they have cut the front part of the cable and left the end in situ. (Hover your cursor over the picture for a larger image).

Mercedes C32 C230 C240 W203 Emergency Brake Pedal 2204200312 | eBay

I've also checked my Haynes Workshop Manual W203 C Class (#4780 (one of the few manuals Haynes do for MB)) for any further info, but it only gives instruction for removing the pedal assembly.

If you require info on how to remove the pedal, let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom