S211 Front nearside clunking...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Telebass

Car
S204 C220CDI 2009
Two noises from front recently. One is general noise when going over any bumps. Other is a definite clunk as braking is applied. I'm presuming a balljoint somewhere...
There's no effect on steering, no tyre wear apparent, and apart from the clunk, the brakes are fine.
Wheel-off inspection: nothing obvious BUT a moment of whimsy had me apply the wheel brace to the upper ball joint nut - it's the same size. It was very easy to undo. Not finger tight only, by any means, but I'd expect it to be a little tighter. Did it back up again with a bit more force, fitted the wheel again, and went for a spin.
Brake clunk unchanged. Bump noises diminished a little, but might be wishful thinking.
Sincerely hoping it might be the upper ball joint, as they're rather easy to replace, but a search through here doesn't throw up anything.
The hive mind wisdom would be much appreciated!
Ta!

I recently had similar issues. I went through the process most people have done of swapping components to eliminate the problem. So after installing:
1) New lower ball joint
2) New front and rear arms
3) new upper wishbone and ball joint
4) new ARB link
5) fitting Eibach lowering springs and new shock absorbers (well, I was in there anyway)....

...I was feeling confident that the noise would be gone. BUT...no, the damned knocking noise was still there over bumps and most noticeable at slow speeds <30mph. After double checking everything and pulling more hair out. I bit the bullet and replaced the top mount. Yes it is just a metal plate, but, It looks like it wears the bore out over time as the new febi branded top plate I fitted has now silenced the knocking noise. I have some video clips and pictures I'll get around to putting up as this appears to be a common problem but there is little info on it.

Hi all, this is my first post following the purchase of a 2008 E220 cdi [211] estate. The car has only 44k miles and looks well looked after generally.

Recently I have noticed a slight knocking sound at low speeds, especially when first driving off. When the car was parked, i held the top of each front tyre in turn and rocked it sideways, and there is a definite [minute] sense of movement and a slight knocking sound as I do so - my first thought is bushes on one of the suspension joints.

The steering is tight and the car passed its MOT only 8 weeks ago with no advisories - if there were significant suspension wear I would have thought there would at least be a warning.

I will be taking it to my local garage but any similar experiences from others?

BTW I have just read this thread which seems to summarise the problem I have - Clunking noise front passager wheel also movement when rocking front wheels? | Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension

Many thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom