S211 front spring broken.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

saff

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Audi A8 D4 4.2 TDI W246 B180 CDI Sport
Hi,

Yesterday evening came an odd bang noise from outside. Couldn't see anything amiss.

This morning found my S211 with its OSF almost on the floor.

I'm aware that this is a known issue but my question is how do I get the darned thing to my local garage? The tyre is almost rubbing the liner and any lock will cause the tyre to hit the wheel arch lip.

Its so low that maybe even a recovery truck would cause damage to the front skirt as it goes on and off the lift.

I suppose the only thing would to be to take the strut off where it sits, on my drive but hate mauling with suspension on the floor.

Anyone who has suffered this have any suggestions at all?

Cheers Steve

Assuming its on the drive, its quite an easy job to jack the car, support it with something solid and then remove the whole strut (both sides of the car) Get some new springs from Mercedes (best to replace in pairs). The coloured bands on the springs indicate the correct spring rate/length etc for your car. Get a friendly garage with a decent spring compressor to swap the springs over on the struts and then remount the struts back on the car. Bingo.

Cheers for that.

Yep managed to get the car jacked up and removed the strut. Spring was broken at the bottom allowing the rest to slip down.

I'll contact the dealers tomorrow and order he new parts. I think the compressors I have will be ok to fit the spring. I'll do the other side as a matter of course.

Thanks again

Quick question.

Just fitting the new spring to the strut. I'm guessing the two arrows on the label on the strut should point toward the front of the car? I forgot to make a note of this when I took it off.

I could look at the other side but would rather not jack that up at the mo.

Any ideas anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom