S211 high level brake light removal of clips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

selphy

Car
Mercedes E220CDi
I've got a rattle from somewhere near the high level brake light. I tried to remove it to take a look. Removed the outer fabric trim piece and 4 plastic nuts from the back of the brake light but there are 2 other fixings that I couldn't remove - they look like those horrible expanding platic rivets. Can someone tell me how to release them? Do I need to pull the centre pin (which has a round head) out. I couldn't focus my eyes very well on the fixings through the small access holes.

Thanks in advance

Anyone?

Only 2 black plastic expanding fixings are preventing me from releasing the brake light and I don't know how to remove them. I've scoured the internet and found a few guides for the saloon but nothing for the estate. I will attempt to photograph the offending retainers but it will be tricky because you can only view them through a half inch inspection hole in the tailgate inner metal skin.

If they're anything like the plastic rivets that I've encountered, the centre pin needs to be 'removed'. On some types, you can push it all the way through and on others, it can be pulled out. If you can't do either of those things, would you be able to drill it out?

Thanks - I had another look this morning and the sun was shining through one of the other holes enough to get a better look and a picture. They're just expanding rivets without a centre pin. Looks like I need to push all 4 sides inwards whilst gently pulling the brake light upwards.

I couldn't do it of course - they're really stiff - I think I need some kind of release tool. Does that exist?
w211%203rd%20brake%20light%20clips_zpsebnevshz.jpg

From what I am seeing in your photo, that IS a centre pin. If it didn't have the centre pin, there'd be a hole in the middle. Can you get something long to try pushing on the centre to see if it'll push out? I don't know of a tool to get them out.

Old thread I know, but did you manage to work out how to dismantle this section? thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom