S211 - issues with power boot lid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bolidemichael

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S211 E500
I have been experiencing an issue with my bootlid for a while and it’s irking me.

A little while back whilst in for the rear airbags, I asked them to also (titivation incoming) replace the noisy motor for the retractable boot skirt. I had stressed it a few years ago whilst trying to be OCD about packing everything under the load cover and placing it under duress and since then it had been noisy.

I had a replacement motor off ebay but as it was untested, they suggested it would be sensible to replace with new as it was a number of hours to access (in the middle of the roof portion of the boot area) and I agreed. The good news is that this is working fine.

Whilst we were doing that, I also wanted to replace the boot struts and let the power boot *do its thang* . For a while hitherto, it had been popping back up at random heights, as though something had been detected. I supposed that it had been the hydraulic rams of the power mechanism reacting to the lack of resistance from the perished boot struts. So they did that and then also replaced an actuator iirc and then the hydraulic ram with a used item that they said was good, rather than a new one at double the price (I wasn’t really given an option, just took their word which is usually good).

It came back and was working fine and dandy, other then the bootlid seeming to close biased to the nearside and then slide in towards the offside.

After a while (ironically when I popped by to see them and let them know that they’d missed a clip on the D pillar trim lining), the bootlid started to pop back up as it was closing, a repeat of the issue that I had previously experienced.

So I took it back to them and they checked the alignment by measuring the shut line at the top of the bootlid, reset the settings and said it’s working fine. Oh, they also added some weights to the bootlid to ensure that it closed consistently, which I suppose it either workaround or a bodge, depending on whether you're a glass half full or empty kind of person.

Then… it started to happen again but will more frequent issues

* sometimes it won’t open when I press the button on the remote - the boot skirt raises but the bootlid only releases from the catch
* sometimes it will shut… almost… but the soft close won’t operate and this leaves the boot skirt unretracted i.e. the latch fails to locate.
* sometimes it fails to close and pops up again
* the offside bias seems more pronounced and the wear is starting to show on the boot rubber protectors on the nearside.

To add insult to injury, the bloody GPS now thinks that I’m about five miles north east of my true location and the issue is suspected to be an antenna… which is located in the bootlid!

They’ve picked it back up again today to have a look at it before I go away on the 12th for a mini break to Herefordshire. Has anyone had a similar experience which they have had to resolve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom