S211 knocking when braking and going over bumps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok the joint popped out with some heat.

But the C clamp press doesn't fit as the ball joint from the other arm is in its way. I really wish I hadn't started. I've ****ed this all up and I don't have another car on the road and I have work monday

:wallbash:

that other balljoint should come out easy fella. this jobs like a tub of pringles , once you pop you cant stop .

Last edited:
I wish. I've managed to get a complete **** up.

I can't be bothered anymore with this pile of shit. I've never known such a ****ing shit car to work on ever.

that other balljoint should come out easy fella. this jobs like a tub of pringles , once you pop your cant stop .

Even with the right (aftermarket) presses they felt as if they were on the point of stripping their threads before the joints cracked off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish. I've managed to get a complete **** up.

I can't be bothered anymore with this pile of shit. I've never known such a ****ing shit car to work on ever.

Wait until the air suspension gives you grief before saying that[emoji3]
In fact, just replace the bags with coil springs[emoji1303]

Even with the right (aftermarket) presses they felt as if they were on the point of stripping their threads before the joints cracked off

i used the 2 steak pies and a 4 lb mash hammer with pickle fork method , brutallity won over beauty. i was renewing both arms so damage limitation was optional.

Last edited:
i used the 2 steak pies and a 4 lb mash hammer with pickle fork method , brutallity won over beauty.

I did briefly try the pickle fork as my other universal presses didn’t fit either. But I felt I’d do more damage than good with the fork so ordered some cheap presses from eBay that stated we’re good for the job. These did it. I’ll look for the type in 20 minutes or so

2d29f858b317c5c6eacbaa67a8d328dc.jpg

heres another video for you to watch , this guy removes it with the front arm in location .

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

heres another video for you to watch , this guy removes it with the front arm in location .

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Great video[emoji1303] it shows how much pressure is required to push out the old joints. Not something you can do with a bodge generally

you dont need a tab after doing it lol, glad i packed them in before saying hi to my w211 and w219 . i did end up with an arms like pop eye though .pop eye.Jpg

Wow, how he managed that is incredible.

Sorry for my abruptness earlier, just have a lot going on in my personal life and really could do without the car giving me hassle.

I manged to get the hub assy off with the front lower arm in situ. I took it to my friend who's got everything.

The only way we got the joint out was to drift it out on an anvil, then press the new one in.

The front control arm ball joint could also do with being replaced, but it's getting a joint in time. So it may have to be done another time. There's just a nick on the boot, so I don't think it'll last long.

I wonder if this is the same part no. which fits in the hub casting?

Do we have any ECP discount codes? The BANK70 code isn't available on a ball joint.

Glad you’ve got her sorted then[emoji1303]

By the way there is an eBay seller who sells joint repair boots. I used one last week for a Porsche tie bar with a damaged boot but no wear. New boot and a fill of grease and straight through the MOT.

Last edited:
Glad you’ve got her sorted then[emoji1303]

By the way there is an eBay seller who sells joint repair boots. I used one last week for a Porsche tie bar with a damaged boot but no wear. New boot and a fill of grease and straight through the MOT.

I was just thinking about doing that.

I'd need to hopefully separate the joint shank from the hub carrier in situ, maybe plenty of copper slip can help prevent it from seizing.

Its not incredible thats just how its done. By the time youve learned how to do 1 side. The other side is a breeze. Think it took me an hour the next time to do what took me 5 the first time.

Its not incredible thats just how its done. By the time youve learned how to do 1 side. The other side is a breeze. Think it took me an hour the next time to do what took me 5 the first time.

Sorry to come across as argumentative, but there was no chance I was using a C press at all. I'll do the other side in the same way if ever I need to do it.

The £100 I paid to have 2 ball joints changed on my S211 sounds like excellent value now! Lol

Wow, how he managed that is incredible.

Sorry for my abruptness earlier, just have a lot going on in my personal life and really could do without the car giving me hassle.

I manged to get the hub assy off with the front lower arm in situ. I took it to my friend who's got everything.

The only way we got the joint out was to drift it out on an anvil, then press the new one in.

The front control arm ball joint could also do with being replaced, but it's getting a joint in time. So it may have to be done another time. There's just a nick on the boot, so I don't think it'll last long.

I wonder if this is the same part no. which fits in the hub casting?

Do we have any ECP discount codes? The BANK70 code isn't available on a ball joint.

Glad you got it sorted. I was out this morning, but was going to ask which part of Oxfordshire you're in and offer to come and help if not too far away.
Try SALE55 on ECP, that seems to still work for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom