S211 Leaking OSR cost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ovinjo

Car
E280 CDI
Hi all,

Sadly my e280 estate just failed its MOT due to a leaking shock. I have had a look and yes it's very wet there.

I have been quoted £800 from an independent to supply and fit, which seams pretty steamy to me.

£360 for the part and 5 hours to replace (again is that reasonable????)

Any thoughts??

Cheers

yes it's very wet there.

If it’s ‘wet’ I assume it’s standard shock not airmatic.

In that case, £360 for one is ridiculous. Are you sure it’s not for the pair? Even then it’s steep.

I must admit I thought the same.......No it's for one.

But 5 hours to do the job sounds pretty excessive.....

Exit stage left from that guy. I would not even contact him again.
You are being taken for a ride.

I must admit I thought the same.......No it's for one.

But 5 hours to do the job sounds pretty excessive.....

In that case, say see you later and leave....

Seems alot for a standard shock. Are they pricing both sides? Maybe they are that expensive?! Can you PM me your reg and ill take a look?

Natacha

Seems alot for a standard shock. Are they pricing both sides? Maybe they are that expensive?! Can you PM me your reg and ill take a look?

Natacha
Hi I think that might be the issue........is the shock standard? the car has airmatic suspension?

Unfortunately I can't PM you as I have not posted enough :-(

If it is airmatic then the shock may well be that much. Can you put your chassis here quickly for me and ill copy and paste it and look it up for you :) You can edit the chassis our straight away, I'll keep an eye out!

If it is airmatic then the shock may well be that much. Can you put your chassis here quickly for me and ill copy and paste it and look it up for you :) You can edit the chassis our straight away, I'll keep an eye out!
xxxxxxx

The shock is £358+ vat from Merc so that's not far off. I looked at Bilstein aftermarket too and its actually more expensive than Merc. Labour time is out by quite a lot so I would just ask them to double check it. Maybe a mistake made on their part :)

And I checked with Merc regarding the suspension and it does have a standard shock as well as an air spring (Mercedes terms!), Merc actually priced both bits - Air spring £414+ vat.

Thanks for looking up for me - much appreciated.
Yes the labour is 5 hours + a 4 wheel alignment check.
I will check back with them.

Thanks again :)

Thanks for looking up for me - much appreciated.
Yes the labour is 5 hours + a 4 wheel alignment check.
I will check back with them.

Thanks again :)

Official Mercedes labour time is 2.4 hours. Maybe they've made a typo? It shouldn't really need a wheel alignment check but I suppose it doesn't hurt to have it checked as long as its not costing too much more.
Natacha

Thanks - sadly they are not moving on it :-(

Will need to find somewhere else

Hi I think that might be the issue........is the shock standard? the car has airmatic suspension?

Unfortunately I can't PM you as I have not posted enough :-(

Now that is a totally different situation

yep - can you recommend anyone around Hove way or Northampton??

I have no idea, my geography is terrible. Pop into the 'independent garage' section and have an ask on there :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom