S211 load cover rattle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

corned

MB Enthusiast
Car
car
Here's one for the panel.

Intermittent rattle from the back of the rear seat, most likely something to do with the retractable load cover. It seems to be somewhere on the n/s, and behind the headrests.

Is there anything in that area which is known to cause rattles/work loose? Or is it more likely to be a simple matter of, say, one of the kids dropping something like a DS stylus down the slot from where the cover (or the dog net) is dispensed?

I bet it's the passenger side rear seat clasp for the seat back. I had the same problem with mine so I packed it out with a fat copper washer that I made out of a big cable lug, worked a treat! It now means that when you clip the seat into position the clip has quite a bit of pre-load on it and the rattle has stopped. I did this 3 years ago and haven't had the problem since. Later today I'll take a picture for you to illustrate what I did.

I tracked the problem for ages as it was driving me nuts! The same problem occurred on another S211 belonging to a pal of mine. I tried removing the load cover, the net. Driving down bumpy roads with my pal sat in the back listening. Eventually after eliminating the load cover, net, spare wheel, jack, tools etc... I started looking at other fixings and found that if I used the flat of my hand to bang on the top passenger side corner of the rear seat I could replicate the sound.

Last edited:
Mine does the same, would appreciate the photos......

I'll take the piccy after 5pm as I'm just amongst a bit of a sh!tstorm this afternoon! :) Dead easy fix.

Aha....mine started to do something like this just the other day....will investigate further

The first pic shows the rubber buffer/spacer that surrounds the hoop that the seat latches onto. By spacing this rubber our a little you can pre-load the mechanism when it is in the latched position. I did this by undoing the two bolts that hold the hoop in position and then packing out the bolt heads and hence the rubber by using two squashed copper cable crimp lugs (95mm2 M8), you could use washers but the squashed collars of the lugs help to pack out the rubber as shown in the second pic. These must go on top of the hoop lugs (not underneath) so that the hoop position remains the same but the rubber buffer ends up packed out by 3 or 4mm and that does the trick!

Attachments

• IMG-20110331-00005.jpg
    IMG-20110331-00005.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 243
Right - mine is now dismantled and I will look at finding some suitable packing pieces. I have similar cable lugs to hand so will give them a try.

I assume it works by making the latch mechanism 'pull harder' against the fixing hoop - taking out any slack which may allow the internal seat latch mechanism parts to rattle?

I assume it works by making the latch mechanism 'pull harder' against the fixing hoop - taking out any slack which may allow the internal seat latch mechanism parts to rattle?
Spot on. The collars of the lugs just provide a bit more surface area to help push out the rubber.

I was just wondering (having consulted the parts catalogue) if it were possible to attack the problem directly, i.e. look at tightening up the mechanism itself, if any parts have worked loose.

Edit: No. I have just been to investigate. The whole seat will need dismantling. I like your way better!

I was just wondering (having consulted the parts catalogue) if it were possible to attack the problem directly, i.e. look at tightening up the mechanism itself, if any parts have worked loose.

Edit: No. I have just been to investigate. The whole seat will need dismantling. I like your way better!
I did that too!

I have applied CF's suggested fix, but I'm not convinced at this moment that it has wholly cured the problem. This coming weekend's travels will tell.

Here is my fix:

07042011039.jpg

Which gives the rubber buffer a stand-off, thus:

07042011040.jpg

I am wondering if I flattened the crimps too much though - what do you think?

As I was doing this, I had a sudden flash of inspiration as to what causes the problem in the first place. I reckon I know...

Off-side load cover 'home' - note the buffer:

05042011037.jpg

And the near-side?

05042011038.jpg

The load cover does not actually make contact with anything in this area. The smoking gun?

Not wishing to make you feel inferior but my lugs are fatter than yours which makes my nuts stand out more proudly :eek: :D.

I too have wondered about the load cover as is very heavy and not evenly supported. Also remember your seat has to positions (upright and further back) which cycle as you use the catch. I tend to use the further back position as I think this grips the seat catch more tightly.

Thanks for the pictures camerafodder and the info from Corned aswell, cheers fellas.

As this has come back into the spotlight, I may as well tell you how I resolved the continuing rattle. The cable lugs did not cure the rattle in my case. Smaller lugs than Camerafodder? Yes, and maybe that's why the problem was not 100% cured. It's also why Freud spoke about 'lug envy'!

I have gone back to what I regard as the root of the problem - no buffer on the n/s.

My latest cure has indeed worked, and in three weeks I have had not the slightest chirp of a rattle from it. The cure? A big chunk of folded cereal packet cardboard for the load cover to land on!

So - I bought the new rubber buffer as per the end of Working my Merc's thread, and...

... the rattle is back with a vengeance. :( Good job it was < £5 I have wasted.

Back to the stylish cardboard packing piece then. :rolleyes: :(

I'm going to try something which the lads on the recent Scottish Hoon suggested: gumming up the latch mechanism in the seat back with grease/bike chain lube/whatever, so the rattly bits are stuck together.

What a crock o' shoite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom