S211 Power Boot not closing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bolidemichael

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S211 E500
It was working fine - and then not closing when the big red button is pressed.

Could this be just as simple as a fuse, or something more complex?

Does anything happen when you press the button? Can you hear anything etc?

Absolutely nothing at all!

Absolutely nothing at all!

Could just be the switch/button unit has failed, worth trying a new one to eliminate that as they aren’t expensive? Especially if the boot opens as normal (electronically)?

P/N: A2118219551

Its an estate right so we are talking about the hatch. Does it open as normal? But nothing happens when you press the button to close it. Is the red light lit when you press it. Is the battery fully charged. On the saloons its usually a broken wire in the wiring loom where it goes accross the hinge. Not sure about the estate.

Didn’t you say in another thread that the bodyshop had to do some work/adjustment etc or the tailgate just recently. Seems likely there could be a coincidence or something disturbed perhaps? I wonder as it’s been sitting for a very long time if it could have been affected by low voltage or being opened/closed out of sequence etc - maybe worth seeing if there’s any fuses that could be affected or stored codes etc?

Could just be the switch/button unit has failed, worth trying a new one to eliminate that as they aren’t expensive? Especially if the boot opens as normal (electronically)?

P/N: A2118219551

There's a thought. I wonder whether the garage that replaced the rear wiper motor, may have failed to re-connect the button properly and as a result it has simply come loose...

Mine is being a little recalcitrant currently. If I close it by hand the latch pulls in and the load cover drops and it opens as it should. I find pressing around the switch, quite hard sometimes, makes the connection so clearly it is electrical. I'll get it sorted at the next service.

Oh! STOP PRESS

I just popped outside to answer Gbrowncls55's question about the red button and curious about the component. Sure enough it was bright red and didn't respond to input. I went to try and pop it out and in probing the edge of it, it suddenly began to operate... I suspect that it hasn't been reconnected properly following the re-assambly of the boot panel, subsequent to the replacement of the rear wiper motor.

Make sure you invoice yourself for your labour and replacement switch :p

The end of the story is that the switch has been replaced with a new one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom